High-dose Excel / H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) for algae in I/O tubing

growitnow

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2007
Hello,

New tank, canisters up and running but tank is still empty. The only thing in tank is substrate (Black Flourite) and hardscape. Back of tank faces a window and interior of I/O tubes (Eheim 16/22 green tubing, from canisters to tank) is beginning to get small spots of algae.

I decided to cover all green I/O tubes with tin foil as a light block. But I now wish to clear out what bits of algae did get in the tubes.

Question:
Will high doses of either Excel, or Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) - by dumping bottle(s) in tank - clear out what bits of algae have grown in I/O tubing? Is there a reason NOT to do this? (will anything bind to substrate that a few large water changes won't take out, etc.)?

Many thanks,

tubing.jpg

Neil Frank

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2008
get an eheim brush. Works really well. they are made to fit their specific tubing(s) ... and come with really long stiff plastic thingy that allows you to clean not only the algae, but the inevitable gunk (eg. bacteria slime) that will coat the inside. If the inside coating is not too thick as your picture shows, you can remove the tubing and run thru diluted chlorox (1:10 or 1:20), then rinse.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Brush Kits, Please

Hi,

I am with Neil, pull that sucker out and soak it and or run some 20:1 bleach solution through the thing. Make sure you use plenty of dechlorinator and run that through until you cannot smell any bleach. :gw

Then spend a few buck and get a brush kit for the tubing. :rolleyes:

Good luck,
Biollante