This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Hi, this is my first aquasape.

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Asmund, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Asmund

Asmund Junior Poster

Local Time:
    10:04 PM
    Hi, this is my firs aquasape an my second planted tank, I want to join your forum because I need to lear more about fertilization, algae control ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

60L tank. I have 2x T8 6500k, 1x T5 and 1xT6 11000k
    Home made Co2

Fertilization: N P K + plantex

I have some green dot algae problems, as you can see the rocks are turning green. I dont know if im dosing the right amount of fertilizers, i have some powder compounds and i mix them with water i add 5ml, 2 times per week.

(potassium Nitrate), 20g in 500ml
    (Mono potassium Phosphate), 9g in 50ml
    (Potassium Sulfate), 4.5g in 500ml
    Plantex, 16g in 500ml

Someone advised me to use Gluthaldehid to erradicate the green dot algae, i cant find Excel or Flourish in my country, i have a bottle witha 2.5% consentration.
    :D

Nice forum i hope i can learn a lot here, i want to make a bigger aquarium next year.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Hola,
    You can add about 8mls a day to the aquarium.
    It will not cure GSA however.

I would try changing the DIY CO2 more often, or buy a CO2 gas tank and regulator.

It is well worth the added cost over time. I had a hard time justifying it myself, but once I did, I was very happy. Good stable CO2, good PO4, this typically takes care of it.

Be careful and adjust CO2 slow and progressively, watch fish health!
    Increase surface current also if it's slow/not moving etc.

This will help add more O2 for fish, but off gas some more CO2, you can simply add more CO2 to account for any loss, which is easy with a gas tank and regulator.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. slalomsk8er

slalomsk8er Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Do you have some snails or shrimps in the tank?

I use Clithon sp. as a cleaning crew.

4. Asmund

Asmund Junior Poster

Local Time:
    TY for tha answers, i wish i could get some algae eating snails here, i foud 2 tipes of snails, the big orange ones and a litle black ones, someone told me that those can cause problems because they multiplicate really fast.

I found 2 O2 devices, in the basement.

[​IMG]

I dont know if i could use them for the aquarium, remember im a student and i dont have so much money for my hobby, almost all is homemade.

5. guy tillmans

guy tillmans Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    They look like grenades......:)

6. slalomsk8er

slalomsk8er Junior Poster

Local Time:
    The population is depending on food. Every one that warns you about exploding snail populations was overfeeding his fish. I like the smaller ones better but beware of the species as some eat the plants.

The most common snail at my location is the bladder snail you normally get it from plants with out having to pay for it and some call them a plage ;)

Beware of the similar great pond snail it eats plants :eek:

Regards, Dominik

7. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Biological Buffer

Hi,

What Dominik says. ;)

A snail ‘bloom’, like any other ‘bloom’ demonstrates a serious nutrient surplus.

Personally, I think snails are a healthy sign and provide a kind of biological buffer. :)

Biollante