This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Hi, introduction and questions.

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by firemedic269, Oct 1, 2012.

1. firemedic269

firemedic269 Member

Local Time:
    2:38 PM
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and also to planted tanks. I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I am a firefighter / Paramedic from Cleveland, Ohio. I have had many aquariums in the past, but no planted tanks. After about a 10 year break I have come back to the hobby. I started my new tank when I realized how much my new son likes to watch them.

I have a 20 gallon tank 30in x 12in x 13in. It has the original hood and light, however i changed the bulb to a PowerGlo T8 20W which says its 18000k. I have flourite substrate ( about 1 1/2 - 2 inches deep, and a 1/2 inch of gravel on top. I have an Aquaclear 50 filter. I have 4 guppies and 2 dwarf Gouramies. I was planning on adding rainbow tetras in a month or so once the tank cycles. The tank has been up and running for 1 week. My lights are on for about 8-10 hrs a day. I used a double dose of API Stress Zyme as the label recommended. And I used a dose of Flourish plant supplement the second day, which i now realize I should not have done.
    View attachment 3624

As you can see, I have it partially planted already. I am having a couple of issues. First i have what I believe is wood fungus on my driftwood which my lfs said was an African wood which i put Java moss on. From reading here and other places I believe i should just scrub it off with a toothbrush as well as I can. And that this is harmless to the tank and fish... Is this correct?
    View attachment 3625

Second, I have something growing on my plants. Is this algae? It looks like the leaves are dirty. However when i wave my hand over them it doesn't blow off like dirt would. What should I do? Thank you for reading all of this, and thank you in advance for your assistance.
    View attachment 3626

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I would add about 2x or 3x this amount of plant biomass.

You have light, sediment and any ferts? CO2?
    You could use Excel etc as a sub for CO2 or use DIY yeast.
    This will make the plants grow much faster/nicer.

Excel is a liquid you'd dose daily, say in the morning when you turn the lights on.
    CO2 gas is a semi automated thing that keeps adding CO2.

3. firemedic269

firemedic269 Member

Local Time:
    Thank you for the reply Tom. I will add more plants for sure. I was considering the yeast Co2 after reading the "start here first" section. In the mean time I could do the Excel. I was told by my lfs to wait 2 weeks after adding new plants before I started using fertilizer. They said ferts could burn out the new roots. Is this correct? If not I can start that immediately. Do you have any advice as to what is wrong with my plants? Thanks for the help.

4. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'd change the light for a lower K bulb, something under 10.000K. Your plants will look greener and nicer.

5. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    No, this is not correct as far as I know. Did they say HOW this occurs? When a new stream or water source is formed and plants establish, I don't think nature 'waits' a few days to start fertilizing them...sorry but that makes no sense....

I would try adding more fast growing plants like water wisteria and other hygros and rotalas. Get some more plants as Tom suggest and pack the tank more.

Take it easy on learning and start maybe with a non c02 tank to learn more first. C02 can be difficult :) See what your current light fixture and setup can do and then go from there. A t8 will grow plants fine..

I don't really see anything on your third plant pic that you are asking about????

Please note that the K rating of a bulb is the kelvin rating or temp of the bulb. This matters to US visually and the plants DO NOT CARE. I have used 6500k, 10k, 14k, etc as have many others. The 6-8k range seems most pleasing in general to humans...

6. firemedic269

firemedic269 Member

Local Time:
    Gerry,
    Thank you for your advice. The lfs did not go into detail about not fertilizing in the first two weeks other than to say it could hurt new plants, and keep the new roots from thriving. I DID put a dose of fertilizer in this morning based on your suggestion. Also, thank you for recommending a few ideas on good plants for me. I am trying to learn so much so fast that having specifics as far as chemicals to use or plant names really help. I will probably order all three.