This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Hi From Leeds, United Kingdom

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Aquascape1987, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Aquascape1987

Aquascape1987 New Member

Local Time:
    11:10 AM
    Hi all, new member here from Leeds in the UK.
    I’m running an 85 litre scape at the minute (current pics of scape and set up below) and have been keeping high energy planted tanks on and off for the past 5 or 6 years. I have been keeping aquariums since around 2012, and fell in love with scaping a couple of years later.

I’m a member of UKAPs, but have always lurked and read on this site as well, and finally decided to join. I’ve learned so much from here lurking, that I felt it was long overdue time to join.

My current tank and scape has been set up for around 6 months, and I struggled for the first few months to get things balanced and under control in terms of flow, Co2 distribution and nutrients for positive growth and algae under control. Finally, I think I can say that I have, however the never ending quest for perfection goes on! I’d say I managed to get things under control fully, only in the last 3 months:eek:, but am now happy with how things are progressing.

Currently, I’m starting to experiment with tweaking my CO2 using the pH/kH table, as so far its been set up using the drop checker only. Once I have CO2 fully optimal, I plan to tweak my ferts, and from there just enjoy and maintain the tank until it’s time to rescape and start again :D

I will be starting a tank journal on here shortly, and will summarise the developments over the first 6 months and then start from there.

Looking forward very much, to interacting and sharing knowledge with you all ;)

DECEEAFF-19B9-4725-837B-FAA5F620AC62.jpeg 2BB188B3-AB2A-4323-B6DB-FB28D16AEF8E.jpeg 383F1AD7-3B9D-4027-84FF-268FB565C778.jpeg

Heather likes this.
  2. Heather

Heather New Member

Local Time:
    3:10 AM
    That is a beautiful tank. I am doing a dry start right now and trying to decide what kind of c02 setup to use. Newbie here. I’ve only been trying planted aquariums for about 8 months.

Aquascape1987 likes this.
  3. Aquascape1987

Aquascape1987 New Member

Local Time:
    Hi Heather,

Thanks for the reply.:)

That sounds really interesting. I’ve never done a dry start before. You should do a journal thread, as I, and I’m sure many others would be interested to see how you progress with that.

In terms of CO2, I’m using a fire extinguisher, with a dual stage regulator and solenoid on a timer. The reason I use fire extinguishers, is because you can pick them up cheap here in the Uk, when their service certification has expired, which in effect makes them scrap as I think it’s illegal for businesses to have expired extinguishers. Obviously they are full if they’ve never been used, as most extinguishers are never used, so the CO2 inside is as good as new. The Co2 goes through an in-line diffuser on each filter on the pipe flowing from the tank, into the filter. This in effect turns your filter into a large reactor, with the CO2 almost fully dissolved in the water by the time it gets through the filter and into the tank. Many people advise against this, and advocate putting the diffuser on the pipe with water returning to the tank, but I’ve never had any issues doing this at all. It prevents your tank looking like 7up, without having to mess around with a reactor, which can drastically reduce your filters flow out put, so it’s a win win for me.

#3 Aquascape1987, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  4. Aquascape1987

Aquascape1987 New Member

Local Time:
    The filters then feed into two spray bars running along the back wall of the tank, pointing forwards. The two spray bars actually look like one, as they are in one continuous line, but there are in-fact two, that meet end to end. One fed by each filter. The reason I use spray bars is because I’ve never found any other outlet method that provides as good uniform and even flow distribution all around the tank, and good flow is absolutely key to maintaining a successful planted tank.

How long are you planning on running your set up dry, until flooding and why are you using the dry start method, if you don’t mind me asking? Many people have good success with this method, but I think the thing you need to watch out for is mould developing before the tank is flooded. I personally have always done wet starts :)