This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heteranthera Zosterifolia in natural habitat

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by nipat, Aug 20, 2010.

1. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Nothing much, just a link to pictures of Heteranthera Zosterifolia in natural habitat.
    I'm surprised they grow in sand, and in bushy form without anyone's pruning,
    unlike what I have read and imagined.
    http://www.aquamazon.com.br/?area=expedicoes_rio_da_prata

I suspect the water is somewhat hard too. Since a tributary, Rio Olho d'Água,
    is from a (limestone) spring, even itself is also a spring.
    Again, unlike what I've read that HZ likes softwater.

#1 nipat, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2010
  2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I Love This Stuff!

Hi Nipat,

Good find. :cool:

It is fascinating to see the natural habitat.

Though your point is well taken, I suspect you underestimate the amount of “pruning” that goes on! The prey for those big prey fish are feeding on something. Those Pacu are omnivores and consume a lot of whatever is available.

Then there are the 'Serpae’ Tetra wherever they are, there will be all kinds of small invertebrates.

Interesting the plentiful CO2 at around 8-ppm later scrubbed by the rapids. Hard water is of course from the same source as the high CO2, limestone. :)

If you click on part 1 all the vascular plants and an interesting comment about cyanobacteria.

I liked the massive amount Echinodorus macrophyllus, which is a nice aquarium plant though is primarily harvested as a medicinal plant. :cool:

Thanks,
    Biollante

3. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Glad you like it. :eek:

I was too excited to look at part 1 and also overlooked the water parameter below each page.[​IMG]

It echoes Tom's advice: most plants do fine in hard and soft water.