This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Hermianthus Callitrichoides "Cuba"

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by jonathan11, Nov 19, 2006.

1. jonathan11

jonathan11 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Has anyone found an easy way of planting this stuff yet? I have flourite as a substrate, and no matter what i do, it will just not take hold. Would onyx sand be a better substrate to use for this plant? Is there any substrate that would be the best to use for this plant? Thx in advance.

Walter:D

2. George Farmer

George Farmer Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

The grains in Flourite are too big. Onyx would be better. HC loves CO2 ;).

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

ADa aqua soil is best IMO/IME.
    Flourite is tough with this.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. Daniel Morris

Daniel Morris Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Does anyone have any experience with grinding flourite into a finer substrate...?

My tank is completely flourite, and I'm worried that if I mix sand in with it, it will just filter to the bottom after some time...

Considering I spent almost $200 on all the flourite in my tank I'm wondering what is the shortest point to the solution. - rather than buying a bunch of ADA substrate...

5. mlawson

mlawson Junior Poster

HC does best with a fine substrate, I have mine with a cm laye of sand over some florabase.

6. tropicalfish

tropicalfish Junior Poster

Hi!
    Does Eco-Complete work as well?

7. Moody

Moody Prolific Poster

I have HC in ADA AS normal, and no Co2, and only step1 fertilizer when i remember, it grows ok, but it grows well with Co2.

I plant mine in 1cm bunches and it creeps out from there. lovely plant for my nano/pico's.

8. glenc

glenc Junior Poster

HC grows well in Eco-complete. It covered a ten gallon tank front to back for me in less than 3 months. I was running 36wts CF lighting with DIYC02 at the time. Great little plant.

9. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Prolific Poster

I planted my HC in ADA AS Amazonia powder, and it was far and away the easiest planting session I have ever had. There were practically no floaters the following morning.

10. Frolicsome_Flora

Frolicsome_Flora Guru Class Expert

I grow HC ok in sand with a bit of latterite in it. It takes ages to take hold though, i use scissors and cut up the rooting wool when it comes into chunks and plant that, then when im thinning it out, i get a good 3 inch kitchen knife and saw directly down into the sand and use those cm squares of it. Works ok, but a bit of re-prodding is always needed for a while.