Hemianthus callitrichoides

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
Why is HC becoming so hard to come by in the UK now?

One order I placed for 4 pots, refunded 1 day and 1 hour later with a 'sorry, we have none' email.

Order placed with Greenline, they send me the wrong type of hemianthus totally.. Andy Green apologised in an email but has none. I planted it out so I cant even send it back now.. sigh.

Even the guy in germany on ebay that I normally get it from.. has none..

Aqua Essentials has some, but Im sure they do have with the price they want for it.

Maybe I should go into HC sales, Id clean up.

Such an annoying day.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Back in 1996, Gloss was the same deal.
New plant makes the rounds.

It's very easy to grow for sale emersed, many folks do that and sell it like mad, note, you only need a little to start and the next thing you know you will have lots.

It does extremely well with ADA aqua soil.
There are some that will make false claims as to the efficacy of PowerSand being the reason for good growth, these claims have no basis.

It as well as other plants that appear to prefer ADA substrates are namely due to the Aqua soil, not the other products that are being sold along with it as a "system".

I sell the products myself, but to LFS's. If a hobbyist here asks me and knows about KNO3 etc, basically has little reason to supply and buy like a LFS, then I'll tell you not bother.

LFS need to make $ and make sales and do not have the time to work through what is what and deal with all sorts of request, they do not have the time.
For them, PS and other products can help, will it ultimately help the hobby?

That's not for me or any one person to decide.
Time and the public will.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
I decided to get 1 pot of hemianthus call. from Richard at aqua essentials, even though its double the cost that I normally pay.

What a difference, I guess thats what you get with proper tropica stock, brighter, fuller in growth, better rooted.. pearling like crazy, which the other orders of the same plant never did once in.

Just ordered 5 more pots, thatll complete my foreground now, the older plants are starting to thicken out now, although they took absolutly ages to get settled.

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
Andy Green just sent me a load of H. Callo for free, what a nice guy.. he was really embarassed at sending out the wrong stuff..

so i got half a ton through the post this morning, 5 pots from Aqua ess, and that. Will take pics when it all clears.