Hemianthous Cuba Emmersed not growing

hadjici2

Junior Poster
Aug 19, 2005
Hello,

for a month now I have tried to grow Hemianthou Calitrichoides Cuba emmersed without success. Here are the facts:
1. 40L empty tank covered with a piece of glass to keep humidity up
2. 38w fluorescent compact lap on for 16 hours per day
3. Substrate - Seachem Flourite Red which is high in Iron
4. Tank doesn't get reached by direct sunlight and room temperature is around 30 degrees celcius at most
5. The substrate is soaked in KNO3 and K2SO4 and a light mixture of Seachem Excel. Also there is a thin layer of Sera floredepot which contains macronutrient and micronutrient tables.
6. The layout has small hills and thus the water may not reach those plants however the plants that are reached by water have now melted even though they were not soaked in water at all

It has been around two months now and no growth has been observed. The plants are still alive but not growing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Imo, HC, grows n one elusive soil type existing in nature.

Lots to go wrong here. So, I'm taking one simple thing for you to try for two weeks.
16 hour lighting? Turn the light on in the after noon and run it fewer hours. Why 16?
I need to pass on explaining the fluorescent. What is it? I wouldn't know it anyway.

Next, Ozmacoat might be better then what your using. Less salt. The roots of this plant like to get wet, but grown out of water it should be well draining for periods of the day. I'm unsure of the way Flourite Red drains. It will nab ions.

Last edited by a moderator:

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Daphne, AL (east Mobile Bay)
Tug;50817 said:
Next, Ozmacoat might be better then what your using. Less salt. The roots of this plant like to get wet, but grown out of water it should be well draining for periods of the day. I'm unsure of the way Flourite Red drains. It will nab ions.

Gotta go with Tug on the Ozmacote. I put down 60g of Oz Plus under my Turface AllSport in 6 sqft (90g). It's been 6-7 weeks on a dry start and the HC is spreading fine, mounding up on the front glass, and needs trimming to keep out of the areas I don't want it. In retrospect, I think a little less, would have been OK. 6-7 g per sqft, maybe down to 5.

FWIW
Pat

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
I've grown HC emersed in both ADA AS and good ol' garden soil. In both cases, the stuff really took its time to start growing; probably 2-3 months with a 65w CF over a 20 gal. The DSM I did with 108w of fresh T5 bulb over a 50 gal in aquasoil really took off nicely. One month to see it start spreading.

I think some of the issue is time; I've had it take months to settle in. Once it took off, it was fine.

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Daphne, AL (east Mobile Bay)
Philosophos;50825 said:
The DSM I did with 108w of fresh T5 bulb over a 50 gal in aquasoil really took off nicely. One month to see it start spreading.

I didn't mention that I have 216w of T5HO over mine.
Could there be a difference in the responce between CF and T5?:confused:

Anywho, I plan to cut back on the light after the flood.:cool:

Pat

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
There's a difference... not THAT much though.

How's minimum temperature? A cold snap or two can set the stuff back in terms of growth pace.