This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Help with tank/filter...

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Laith, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Laith

Laith Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:41 PM
    I've asked this over on APC but haven't gotten much feedback yet. Maybe better luck here...

I'm helping a friend set up a large custom built glass tank and have several questions that I could use some help on:

1. The tank will be built into a wall and will have two cannister filters running on it (Eheim 2180 Pro III and Eheim 2260). The inputs and outputs will be through the bottom of the tank so we need to order it with holes drilled in the bottom. The 2180 has three hoses of 16/22mm (inside/outside diameter), two to the filter and one for the return. The 2260 has two hoses, one of 16/22mm and one of 25/34mm. So how big should the holes be for the bulkheads?

2. How to connect the flexible Eheim hoses to the bulkheads? I assume I need some pvc pipe from the bulkheads but how do I connect the hoses to the pvc?

3. The Eheim 2180 has two hoses to bring water from the tank to the filter. Does it pose a problem if there is only one output from the tank that splits into two to connect to the two hoses (reduces the number of holes required from five to four...)?

As you can tell, I'm not an expert with bulkheads and drilled tanks! ;)

2. SpongeBob SquarePlants

SpongeBob SquarePlants Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    This sounds like a decent sized tank/project your working on. I would suggest installing pvc for everthing from the intake to the filters and from the filters to the return/spray bar. 3/8" would be fine or 1/2" wouldn't hurt either. You could have the pvc come into where ever the canister filters are with pcv hose connectors, then you just neet to run a short hose from the canister to the connector. You may even want to install some flow control valves on the pvc side. For the bulk head just have the tank drilled to match whatever size pipes you go with. I love working pvc, its so simple to customize and very cheap to use.

Good luck with your project.

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Look up bulkhead fittings on a website where they are sold. You will find what your hole size options are by doing that. As I recall there are only two sizes that would be appropriate, so making the choice is pretty easy.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I wouldn't know:)

5. Laith

Laith Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the replies, just the feedback I needed!