Help With PMDD Recipe & Routine

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Don't forget the need for adequate water circulation in order to get the CO2 and other nutrients supplied to all parts of the tank, all parts of all of the plants. Water circulation may well be the "missing link" that explains why some of us have algae blooming even with high CO2 per a drop checker, and high levels of all nutrients. Our success with growing plants is also our downfall. As the plants grow they increasingly block the water circulation. That leads to areas not having enough nutrients, especially CO2.

dawson29

Junior Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Hi guys

Thanks for all your comments. I will try to answer them.

ceg4048 - I have already increased the CO2 rate in my tank from 18 bubbles per min to about 36. This has given me a green (PH 6.8) on my Dennerle drop checker. I understand that this is not the best checker on the market and I need to use 4dkh water with it. This is my next purchase from Aqua Essentials...

Tom - I have good plant growth. I have attached a picture on my last comment. The tank often pearls away quite nicely which I've heard indicates good plant growth.

VaughnH - I have increased the water circulation already. The diffused CO2 stream is directly under the filter outlet. As the bubbles rise to the surface they are cascaded around the tank. It looks quite affective.

The problem was there before I started adding dry fert. I have added more plants and have a couple more fast growing plants on order. Please look at the picture and let me know what you think?

Also would a UV light source filter affect my input of nutrients?

Thanks guys for the help!

dawson29

Junior Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Hi Guys

I have eventually bought a JBL drop checker with 4dkh water and I have placed it in my tank. I followed the link Ryan gave me on how to set up the DC.

I have left my original Dennerle DC in the tank for a quick comparison.

I'm waiting for the new DC to change colour as it's quite blue at the moment.

I will keep you updated as to the results.

Paul