help with low light planted tank

debrab1954

Junior Poster
Jul 27, 2005
I am setting up a low light planted 29 gal. tank, no co2, i am thinking of using the coralife 65 watt fixture over a glass canopy top, will this light work with what i want to do or is it too much light? I would like to have low and medium light plants, but i did not know if i could use this light fixture without using co2.

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
For a non-CO2 tank, I would have to use less light than this, since I leave my tanks open (during the day at least -- I like covering them them at night when I'm home). I'm not sure how much light reduction there is when you have glass over the tank.

In general, I believe the recommended wpg for non-CO2 tanks is 1.0 to 1.5 wpg.

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
debrab1954;27259 said:
I am setting up a low light planted 29 gal. tank, no co2, i am thinking of using the coralife 65 watt fixture over a glass canopy top, will this light work with what i want to do or is it too much light? I would like to have low and medium light plants, but i did not know if i could use this light fixture without using co2.

I have exactly the same setup that you do. My tank has been up for about 4 weeks. The plants aren't growing much, but there is little algae, and most of that is on the glass. Usually I have an algae outbreak in the first weeks of a new tank.

In theory that is too much light for a non-CO2 tank, but my cover glass is cloudy.

So we'll see.

Good luck!

Bill

debrab1954

Junior Poster
Jul 27, 2005
would a T5HO 2 X 24 light strip work for me and would a 30" be the right size for a 29 gal? I would like to be able to grow low to medium light plants. I would really like the allglass 55 watt compact light, it would give me a little more light but it is a little pricy. I have read about the 55 watt retro kits, but i don't think i would know how to put one of those together.