This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

help with low light planted tank

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by debrab1954, Jul 30, 2008.

1. debrab1954

debrab1954 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:06 PM
    I am setting up a low light planted 29 gal. tank, no co2, i am thinking of using the coralife 65 watt fixture over a glass canopy top, will this light work with what i want to do or is it too much light? I would like to have low and medium light plants, but i did not know if i could use this light fixture without using co2.

2. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    For a non-CO2 tank, I would have to use less light than this, since I leave my tanks open (during the day at least -- I like covering them them at night when I'm home). I'm not sure how much light reduction there is when you have glass over the tank.

In general, I believe the recommended wpg for non-CO2 tanks is 1.0 to 1.5 wpg.

3. discuscardscorys

discuscardscorys Junior Poster

Local Time:
  4. aquabillpers

aquabillpers Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I have exactly the same setup that you do. My tank has been up for about 4 weeks. The plants aren't growing much, but there is little algae, and most of that is on the glass. Usually I have an algae outbreak in the first weeks of a new tank.

In theory that is too much light for a non-CO2 tank, but my cover glass is cloudy.

So we'll see.

Good luck!

Bill

5. debrab1954

debrab1954 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    would a T5HO 2 X 24 light strip work for me and would a 30" be the right size for a 29 gal? I would like to be able to grow low to medium light plants. I would really like the allglass 55 watt compact light, it would give me a little more light but it is a little pricy. I have read about the 55 watt retro kits, but i don't think i would know how to put one of those together.