This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Led lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by aquabillpers, Jul 5, 2015.

1. aquabillpers

aquabillpers Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:20 AM
    Hi,

I have been growing aquatic plants for more than 20 years with some success. By that I mean that the plants grow and reproduce, and I almost never have to purchase a replacement for a species that I'd already bought.. My tanks are low tech, soil substrate, no fertilization beside what the fish supply. My main tank is a 29 gallon long, 30 inches in length. It's been lit with 60 watts of T12 tubes. Everything was fine.

But then the T12 fixrture died (through drowning) and I need to replace it. My question is, what should I buy to at least equal what I had with the T12s, while maintaining my low tech approach?

Thanks,

Bill

2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Bill - my only advice if you go with LEDs is to not go for the ultra bright stuff...and get a dimmer. The balance you seemed to have with the old lighting will quickly be lost with higher light.

3. skardos

skardos Guest

Local Time:
    9:20 PM
    I am not an expert by any stretch, but here is my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I am using a BeamsWork $55 with a manual dimmer $22 on a 20gal long, that is a heavily planted hi-tech. This light is more than enough for the tank, I have it dimmed to about 75%. You could dim it down even further for your setup and if you ever wanted to switch it to hi-tech you would have the light for it.

BeamsWork LED Pent 30" HI Lumen 6500K

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-Beamswork-Pent-HI-Lumen-p/56365p.htm

Manual dimmer TrueLumen Inline LED Dimmer for LED Aquarium Lights:

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-Lighting-Accessories/I/TrueLumen-Inline-LED-Dimmer-for-LED-Aquarium-Lights.aspx

4. aquabillpers

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Pikez and Skardos,

Thanks for your advice. It appears that I need to be careful lest I provide too much light for my low tech tank.

It appears that the BeamsWork LED fixture with the manual dimmer would work fine in my environment. Skardos, I assume that I would attach the dimmer to the fixture, then the fixture/dimmer to the timer, and the timer to the power source. Is this correct? It seems too easy.

Thanks again,

Bill

5. skardos

skardos Guest

Local Time:
    9:20 PM
    Plug the dimmer inline between the power transformer and the LED light. The BeamsWork light has a connector between the transformer and the light, the dimmer has a female and male end, very simple just plugin between the two. The surrounding housing of one of the ends is a little snug but connects just fine with a little effort. Since it is a manual dimmer once it is set the light will stay at that level until you adjust the knob up or down. Then just plug the power cord for the transformer into the timer. Very easy.

6. aquabillpers

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    OK, thanks! I'll order them tonight. Let the algae war begin!

Bill

7. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    eBay has these dimmers much cheaper, <$4.