Help with Glosso:

chris81

Prolific Poster
Mar 31, 2008
Malta
Hi all,

I am in need of some help. After flooding my aquarium, my glosso which was growing emersed is forming numerous runners, however these runners are not embedding themselves under the substrate but they form on the substrate and most of the times the new shoots dont root but dangle with the new roots over the substrate. ( Having said this, plants are growing at a good rate and are pearling).

In order to form a more compact carpet what i am doing is cutting these renegade shoots separating them into plantlets and replanting these deep in the substrate.

The aquarium is a 140 L with 156 watts on for 10 hr a day. pressurized co2 and EI fertilization

A couple of questions:

1) Is this a right procedure?
2) What can i do more to form a more compact growth with roots and shoots forming underneath the gravel?
3) Is it true that if u trim glosso down it will grow more compact??

Thanks...

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Yes, I'll trim it down, it responds very well. Retopping can be useful temporarly to make the carpet denser, but I find it boring on the long term. Finally, if you have a gravel rather than sand, you'll have a hard time to make them root, you could even fail to achieve it. A sand top is a great add-on for carpetting plants

chris81

Prolific Poster
Mar 31, 2008
Malta
Thanks for reply jonny.. I ll give it a trim once it grows a bit denser. its carpeting well enough though these runners bug me :p ... well its all a matter of patience.

thanks again