This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted: Help With Floating Plants

Discussion in 'Trades, swaps, sales' started by plasticanisfakeri, Sep 19, 2019.

1. plasticanisfakeri

plasticanisfakeri New Member

Local Time:
    5:06 PM
    Hi all, just joined and looking for advice on floating plants. I purchased four types of floating plants salvinia cuccullata, salvinia oblongifolia, hygroryza aristata, and frogbit. I have limited experience with submersed plants and I thought this would be fairly easy with floating plants. When I received the plants they were all healthy and as a fail safe I put some of them in an outdoor tub. These get about 6 hours of sunlight and are in just rain water, no fertilizer and are doing well. My plant tank is a different story. For lighting I have 24 inch coralife HO, 2 bulb. I have tried different bulbs and the current ones are Geismann super flora. I have tried different water from straight ro to a mix of tap and aquarium water. Tank is 15 gallon 12 x 12 x 24. I keep the light about 12 inches from the top because of heat. I have tried a couple different Flourish products. The plants are not doing well, even the frogbit which I thought would be the easiest. The cuccullata cupped leaves turn brown from inside the bottom and this brown slowly turns the whole leaf brown. The leaves of the oblongifolia also turn brown. The plants keep growing, but the older growth keeps turning brown. If you were to start this plant set up, how would you go about doing it?

#1 plasticanisfakeri, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  2. Dd1880

Dd1880 New Member

Local Time:
    I have red root floaters and they melted almost completely for the first few weeks! It’s was annoying because I didn’t know what I was doing wrong. They were not contained and were floating all over getting pushed around by my HOB filter. Once I contained them they grew back and grew back fast. I also starting dosing Nilocg thrive an that helped a lot too. Still trying to get them red though haha. Good luck and hope this helps.

768AA2DC-AAC2-4243-A7C7-01B2024D2E99.jpeg

24375C76-6896-4589-B832-A73115724E00.jpeg

530810BA-D8C5-49C6-8886-3E168C9CE618.jpeg

3. Dd1880

Dd1880 New Member

Local Time:
    Oh and also I went from a top to topless and that made a huge difference. I was also using flourish but it wasn’t enough for the nutrient hogs floating plants are. That’s why I had to go with a concentrated all in one fert like Nilocg thrive.

946E49D0-53B2-4474-BC5A-B785A18C23B2.jpeg