This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Emersed Glosso

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by digiSalero, Aug 14, 2009.

1. digiSalero

digiSalero Junior Poster

I'm attempting to dry start with glosso. I'm using 2x14W T-5 lights about 15" from the ADA Amazonia substrate. I originally planted some glosso I bought from Aquaforest a month ago. All seems to be going well except I have an unusual phenomenon happening. There seems to be some other type of plant or leaf version of glosso that is growing that I am not familiar with. Essentially, I'm not sure what's going on and I need a little help identifying this stuff.

[​IMG]

These small little leaves appeared out of nowhere. At first I thought they were glosso leaves that fell but they look so different. When I picked one up I noticed it had roots.

[​IMG]

This other stuff is also growing. I'm not sure if these are runners or what.

[​IMG]

Here's what the tank looked like a month ago when I first started

[​IMG]

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

2. digiSalero

digiSalero Junior Poster

Here's what the tank looks like now:

[​IMG]

3. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Duckweed

I am tempted to say the one you are holding up looks like good old Spirodela polyrhiza, giant duckweed to this uneducated aquarist.

I would certainly give the folks you bought the stuff from a call, I am quite sure they would have heard from more than one unhappy customer if they are shipping contaminated goods.

I am not sure about the other though I think it is an emergent weed.

Biollante

4. digiSalero

digiSalero Junior Poster

Thanks for the clue Biollante. I researched Giant Duckweed a little more and came across Lemna Minor (Lesser Duckweed) which looks exactly like what I have. Lemna Minor is characterized by 1-2 roots as opposed to Giant Duckweed which has more. I'm always happy to learn more about aquatic plants.

The last plant to identify now is the one that looks like runners. Any takers?

5. Daniel Morris

Daniel Morris Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

wow - that glosso is really reaching for the sky! I thought this occurred in a submerged environment when they weren't getting enough light. I don't know for sure, as I've never actually seen it myself or experienced it.

But you've got about 28 watts over a 30 gallon tank, so I'm thinking maybe thats not the case here?....

I'm not sure what the other plant is that you're trying to ID - sorry.

6. Daniel Morris

Daniel Morris Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

wow - that glosso is really reaching for the sky! I thought this occurred in a submerged environment when they weren't getting enough light. I don't know for sure, as I've never actually seen it myself or experienced it.

But you've got about 28 watts over a 30 gallon tank, so I'm thinking maybe thats not the case here?....

I'm not sure what the other plant is that you're trying to ID - sorry.

7. slalomsk8er

slalomsk8er Junior Poster

8. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Yeah Riccia is also what i thought of..

9. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I wouldn't worry about the duckweed. It will float to the top when you flood the tank, then you can scoop em off with a net. Actually, they are sucking up the excess nutrients secreted by the aquasoil, which can inhibit algae growth?