This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Disease I.D/Treatment

Discussion in 'Off Topic and Chat' started by ianmills122, Dec 27, 2017.

1. ianmills122

ianmills122 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:29 AM
    I just came back from vacation to notice several of my Neon Tetras have a patchy white appearance on their bodies. The one pictured is by far the worst. Some of the others have very slight amounts. Behavioraly they all seem to be eating and schooling. My water quality is pristine as I do 1 to 2 water changes a week. I did just switch my filtration from an FX4 to a sump...not too sure if that switch caused anything. My tank is a 75 gallon and heavily planted. I don’t want to jump to any conclusions but am leaning toward this being a Fungal infection and/or Columnaris. Last night I dosed some melafix that I had on hand. My plan was to get some Pimafix today and dose that as well. Any suggestions on the next step if the Melafix/Pimafix doesn’t do anything? I am particularly concerned about the medications adversely hurting my plants. Thanks!

55A386FB-434E-48AA-8283-98C947F8D895.jpeg

2. Sourpuss

Sourpuss Member

Local Time:
    11:29 PM
    Looks like columnaris. Maracyn (And Maracyn 2 if it is stubborn) or other med for gram negative bacteria in 75ish degree hospital tank. The addition of maracyn 2 will cover any gram positive bacteria. Increase oxygenation. Make sure to follow directions and complete full rounds of medication. Do not stop in the middle of treatment , you don't want the bacteria to become resistant to meds. I do not keep these fish. I am aware that they are sensitive. Special considerations may be needed for treatment. You may have to treat sensitive species as you would scaleless fish like loaches.

3. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Don't forget to take in to account the capacity of your filter when calculating the dose. Also, if necessary take out any absorbent filter media like charcoal and purigen.

ianmills122 likes this.
  4. ianmills122

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I have isolated this fish and 2 others that show very minor signs to a hospital tank. Do you think this will spread to the other healthy fish in my main display tank? The 3 I isolated have been picked on by the other fish in the tank.

5. Tim Harrison

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    If your tank, and the critters inside are generally healthy their natural immunity should prevent them from becoming infected.
    But disease is sometimes a sign that all is not well in the tank, and if that is the case any problems need to be resolved, otherwise there's a good chance disease will reoccur and spread.
    If you're worried you can dose a broad spectrum preventative medicine.
    Not sure what's available off the shelf in the US, but in the UK I use these products http://www.eshalabs.eu/english/products.html

6. ianmills122

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Tim thanks for the info. Yea my water parameters are all excellent and I have been racking my brain as to why this has shown up. I haven't added any new fish for 6 months. I did have a power outage for a few hours the other day where the water temp dropped from 78 down to 75 and some of the neon tetras (the ones i have quarantined) were getting nipped by the more dominant fish . Those are the only things I can think of that may have stressed the fish out.

Tim Harrison likes this.
  7. Sourpuss

Sourpuss Member

Local Time:
    When fish are stressed their immune system goes out the door. If it was brought on by being bullied/nipped , other actions need to be taken. You may need to remove either the dominant or the other fish assuming they make it through this. Columnaris is tough to treat. Maracyn works well though. It is VERY contagious. Some strains of Columnaris distribute themselves by erupting forth. This makes it important to remove infected fish immediately. Not sure if you can salt dip neons. If you can do a 2% dip.

8. ianmills122

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Sourpuss I have removed the only three fish showing visible signs and have them in a hospital tank. I have some Seachem Kanaplex coming in the mail to treat them. Should I order to Maracyn instead of the Kanaplex? In the mean time I was treating the hospital tank with API Fungus Cure as I had it available. I really thought this was a fungus at first and not Columnaris. The visible signs are not spreading fast at all. Is everyone on this thread in agreement that this is for sure Columnaris based on the picture?

9. Sourpuss

Sourpuss Member

Local Time:
    Kanaplex is broad spectrum so it should be fine.

As to the question about the certainty of the diagnosis, without actually seeing a sample under a scope I can not be 100% sure. Sure looks like it though.

Whether it is fungus or columnaris the Kanaplex would treat either.

ianmills122 likes this.
  10. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:29 AM
    My vote is columnaris.
    Columnaris is quite destructive and can spread like mad given the right situation.
    Seachem's Paraguard cleared up issues for me rather quick.
    Damaged fish had to be removed, fin loss and tail rot would never recover.

ianmills122 likes this.
  11. ianmills122

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the info everyone! I will post an update once I recieve the Kanaplex. For those that have used Kanaplex, how does it effect the plants in the tank? Does it discolor the water or stain the aquarium sealant?

12. Sourpuss

Sourpuss Member

Local Time:
    Seachem says it is safe for planted tanks. Not sure about staining.

13. ianmills122

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Update: Tonight I got Seachem kanaplex and mixed fish food with Seachem’s other product Focus. I did this in order to avoid treating the water column and having it effect the plants. When feeding them unnoticed a ton of brownish white slimy growth growing on my flame and java moss. See the picture attached. Does Columnaris cause an outbreak like this?

80E868A4-44E1-4324-8E03-4EE33F5A2AE3.jpeg

14. ianmills122

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    My thought is to continue to medicate the fish through the food and spot treat the white patches with H202. Will this sufficiently treat the Columnaris in the tank?

15. 1077#1

1077#1 New Member

Local Time:
    Would continue with the medicated food for minimum of five day's to seven, with the medicated food being Only food offered.
    Then would perform largish water change after fifth or seventh day.
    Without knowing solubility of the meds in the food ,some residual might remain in the water column and may be of help,hence the no water change until after the five or seven day's.
    If no other symptom's are observed on/in other fishes after the five/seven day's I should think you may have gotten lucky for columnaris does not take long to affect all fishes once it's symptoms appear.
    Might would go another round with the medicated food after a week break from the medicated food assuming the fishes will still eat it.
    Cannot speak to effectiveness of the peroxide for I have not used it.

ianmills122 likes this.
  16. ianmills122

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Update: So nothing has spread in my display tank. I did treat my display tank inhabitants with Kanaplex/Metroplex mixed into their food along with Seachem Garlic Guard. The 3 Neon's I isolated never succumbed to the disease but i ended up euthanizing them. The Neon that started this post continued to degrade even with medication (Kanaplex and Metroplex food blend and before that I treated the water column with Kannaplex). The other two Neons did not show any signs of Columnaris but consistently did not like any of the foods offered including foods soaked with Seachem Garlic guard. They did have some slight fin rot that never seemed to get worse or better. I did not observe them eating for at least 4 or 5 days (although they did not look under weight). I decided it was better to euthanize these two rather then risk reintroducing whatever they may have had back into my display tank. Still not sure whether it really was Columnaris or something else.

17. Tim Harrison

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    It's shame about your neons, but at least you seem to have put a stop to further infection and I hope all remains well from here on out.

ianmills122 likes this.
  18. Sourpuss

Sourpuss Member

Local Time:
    Much kinder than them starving to death.