Help with continuous automatic water drip/change system.

yashaswibs

Prolific Poster
May 31, 2009
It is not the refill or outflow from aquarium that is unsightly ( it probably is but I am not as worried about it) but the tubes going through my living and dining room along side the electricity wire in a wooden home that seems to be a problem.

yashaswibs

Prolific Poster
May 31, 2009
All right everyone, I have finally managed to get the automatic continuous water drip system.

I am a real cheap guy----my plumber was nothing like me.

Now the questions-
What should be the drip rate?
What happens to the EI fertilization dosage?

I attached the cold water outlet and my 3 heaters are not keeping up.

My stats are 90 gallon heavily planted aquarium with a couple of discus and wanting to add several more.

Has anyone kept heckels in heavily planted aquarium without becoming slaves to the fishes?
Apart from being cheap I am also kinda lazy
Suggestions appreciated.

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Lazy, discus, and cheap. You can have two of the three easy enough. All three is going to be some work. :D

Here's a calculator for you.

http://www.angelfish.net/DripSystemcalc.php

If you go with 90 gallons and 9 gallons per day drip rate that's close to 50% water change weekly. You could theoretically just go with standard EI dosing at that point. Maybe bump up the doses 10-20% when you dose just to give a little extra to make sure. Doing all this with Heckels will be impressive.

-
S

yashaswibs

Prolific Poster
May 31, 2009
I am currently doing 6-7 gallons per HOUR, which would amount to almost 85-90% water change a day.

Is there a down side to doing as much water change as this?

The fishes are showing great colour .

Doing all that with Heckels will be impressive if it can be done or has been done in the past. Most Heckel owners are quite fanatical about bare bottom tanks. Posting a question like this will be met with answers like "Blasphemy" or "people who don't know what they are doing should never keep Heckels" and perhaps they are right but I would love to hear a planted groups input.

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Well, if you're changing that much water, you'll essentially need to dose nearly a full amount of nutrients daily. A full set of macros and a full set of micros. At that point you might want to go with liquid dosing and get a couple of dosing pumps.

-
S

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
You might also just want to hold off on the ferts and see what happens. Given that you're changing all that water, you'll be constantly adding whatever's in the water to start with, constantly. You may just need to add the CO2 only. I'd probably hold off on the ferts initially and dose the CO2 and see what happens first before you go throwing in all the ferts and then supplement if you have to. If it works it's cheaper and lets you get away without doing much. So you might actually get all three of your wishes. :)

-
S

yashaswibs

Prolific Poster
May 31, 2009
I have another solution- I guess I will just fertilize the substrate with the Aquariumplants.com substrate vitalization system and keep the CO2 going.

So far so good. I did not buy the heckels but just went for basic blue- hopefully I will be able to grow them out.