Help with CO2 methods in 480L aquarium

berarma

Subscriber
Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2013
Hi everyone.

I've got a 480L planted aquarium and I've tried a few methods of CO2 injection. I started using an UP inline atomizer after the filter and it worked very well but I thought it might waste too much CO2 since it gets the CO2 into the water without being disolved. I had CO2 supply problems so I wanted to minimize CO2 use and bought the AM1000 reactor.

I installed the reactor with a dedicated pump and I think I'm using a lot more CO2 with the reactor than I used with the atomizer while getting similar CO2 concentrations. I have a Fluval bubble checker, it's small but reliable unlike another bigger one I've tried. While I was counting 3-4 bps with the atomizer, now with the reactor I can't count how many bps I'm dosing, maybe 10-15. I know I would have killed my fish using the atomizer with the same CO2 rate.

I have checked there's no CO2 leaks. It seems the atomizer was faster raising the CO2 levels and although it released bubbles in the tank maybe the fine mist is a more efficient way to keep the CO2 in the water. I'd like to know your experience.

The advantages the reactor has for me are: no little bubbles in the tank, and more secure (it's harder to push the CO2 concentration off limits in a short period). It seems it doesn't save any CO2 like I thought.

Now I'm thinking to use this in-tank atomizer: http://www.co2art.co.uk/products/pre...um-up-to-500l#

My goals: using less CO2 and improving CO2 concentration stability while doing less maintenance work. I know these atomizers have to be cleaned frequently but right now it's a big pain to clean the dedicated pump, hoses and reactor, and when it gets dirty the flow reduces drastically and so does the CO2 injection. I built a dedicated circuit for the CO2 hoping to achieve more constant CO2 levels but I'm doing twice the work and it doesn't pay off as I expected. So having to clean the atomizer every 2-4 weeks seems like a big gain.

I'm also thinking about getting an automatic CO2 controller but I'd like first to get the right CO2 method that gets enough CO2 in the water while wasting little and reducing maintenance work to a minimum.

Any comments that can help?

Thanks for this forum!

Best regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilipS

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 10, 2014
GMT -700
This tube video will be quite helpful

The UP inline atomizer CO2 line fitting is a joke. The plastic will get brittle and will crack if you try to unscrew the CO2 hose fitting. They don't sell replacement parts. CO2 reactors have proven to be virtually 100% effective in dissolving gas. DIY or bought, the simple counter flow designs work.

I'm searching for an alternative. The glass inline diffusers look nice but just not excited about adding more quick disconnects and soaking the gun barrel swab.

Also, using more than one inflow pipe will distribute the dissolved gas more evenly just as it would for temperature and Oxygen.

PhilipS

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 10, 2014
GMT -700
How well would the CO2 dissolve when bubbled into the canister intake line 3ft above the canister? Either using a CO2 music glass or rigid airline. 3bps and 120GPH, 1/2" hose. New tank stand is 36 high.

berarma

Subscriber
Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2013
Hi. It's been some time. I haven't had much time to play with this, too busy (family has grown), but patience is a virtue in this hobby, isn't it? :)

In the mean time I've guessed that the reactor is not doing that bad since plants have been growing better and better in spite of CO2 instability due to the reactor getting clogged and having no time to clean it.

Right now my main grip with the AM1000 reactor is flow reduction. Input/output size is 12mm while my hoses are 16mm, and there's also the bio-balls that could be taken out. That stops me from putting it after the filter, where it would stay cleaner and would save me extra plumbing. Also, I think it's slow dissolving the CO2 and that's probably the reason why I need to pump the gas up so much, so that more gas is in contact with the water in the reactor.

I'm thinking about trying the Cerges reactor. I guess the inline mixing of CO2 would work faster, it would have a wider section all the way, and it seems it would reduce the flow a lot less. I'm a bit confused by the flow direction, but I guess we just want to create a high pressure chamber (because of the bigger section in the housing) for the mist to better dissolve, and also avoid gas buildup that would create big bubbles that are slower to dissolve. It's a different concept that the traditional reactor. It seems to make sense, I've just hadn't had an opportunity to see it in action in this variant.

I can't find the filter housing brands commonly seen in forums and videos where I live (Spain), but I guess any could work. I just fear I can't find the fittings and parts to complete the reactor. It's usually hard for me to find the needed fittings and plumbing for the tank except the standard Eheim ones. If someone knows where to buy online all the parts needed in Spain or Europe for a reactor with 16/22mm housing I'd like to know.

Thanks for all the good information here.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
the water filter style CO2 reactors can handle much larger flow rates and for a 480L you need that.

A larger 3/4" in/out 20" tall filter housing will do well.