Help with CO2 Diffuser Choice

Tom Wood

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Kerrville/Austin, Texas
Re: Help with CO2 Diffuser Choice

Tom Barr said:
I'm not so sure it's him per se, rathe rEhiems got hit due to the Dave Gomberg suggestions not to use a needle valve and we had 7-8 folks wipe their tanks out.

That was 12 years ago.

That long already?

Seems like yesterday... :gw

TW

aussietanker

Junior Poster
Nov 14, 2005
Sydney, Australia

man this is getting interesting ....

i think that i am slowly but surely getting it .... :cool: ... Just three more questions now ....

the first question is ....

how big a stone for what sized tank? ....

if you look at my "sig" you will see that my tanks volume is approx 32 US gall ... but it is a tall ... so it's footprint is more like a 20 US gall ..... however, i would guess that it is the overall volume that is most important ... is that correct? .. and if so, what "capacity of stone" suits what sized tank ...... is there a general "rule" that tells you what sized stone to get? ....

as i will have to "import" these stones from USA .... and hence want to get the order reasonably right just because of the logistics involved ..... is there any preference for either the sweetwater airstone diffusers over the point 4 ultra fine bubble diffusers

the second question is ....

in terms of current .... is it again ..... "simply" ..... a matter of positioning the CO2 output (ie ... the airstone...) .... directly in front of a stong current ... and then the current will do all the rest of the work and push the mist around the tank so that the plants can just "suck it all up"! ...

i have a fluval 304 canister filter on my tank .... it is way more than i need for a 130L or 32US Gall tank ... for example ... a Fluval 204 which is the next model down is recommended for tanks up to 40 USgal/200 L ... the Fuval 304 which is the one that i have is recommended for tanks up to 70 USgal/300 L (the 304 has a max output of 260 US Gall per hour ) .... and even with an external CO2 reactor + inline hydro heater i have to "turn it down " and yet there is still quite a strong flow of water around the tank ... ..... so "all" i need to do is somehow plonk the airstone directly in front of the stong water flow ...again.... it's that "simple"?

finally, the last question is ....

is there a "preferred" water flow pattern thru or around a tank?

i think most folk have there tank's water input and output at the back of the tank .... but with the input and output at opposite sides ... so the main flow is either Right to Left or Left to Right (dep on individual setup) but mainly along the back ..... i think that i read somewhere that Takashi Amano prefers to have the input and output at the same end ... so that the water flows broadly from one end across the top of the tank down the other end and back across the bottom of the tank in a big loop ... is one better than the other in regard to "misting" ?...

again ... thank you for your help and patience in getting this sorted ..... i am sure that it's not just helping me .... but many others that are following this .... so again ... thanks ... please keep sharing the info ... it's geatly appreciated ...

regards
aussietanker

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005

Aussitanker, if you can position your outlet vertically,that would be best.just set stone in front of spraybar so as to blow bubbles around tank.see witch way you think is best,outlet next to inlet or at opposite end of tank. set a powerhead just below water surface at outlet end to help blow bubbles and to get surface motion.do not run co2 after lights out.if you can get Foster&Smith catalog,or by internet,stones are (silaca stones,Page 43).good luck! regards,cornhusker :) :)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Tom Wood said:
That long already?

Seems like yesterday... :gw

TW

Yea, your buddy:)
I do not think you will let that one go, but as Chris Rock once said "I understand":)

It was that long ago here. We started calling him on it sometime after.
Mainly myself. I'm not sure how many times he's killed his own fish with it.
Several times by our count here.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Sorry ATer, Tom and I go back a ways on that issue:)
Inside thing and be glad you where not a part of of it.

"how big a stone for what sized tank? .... "

The smaller one will do well for 40-50 gal, I'd use two for a 75, 2-3 for a 125-180.
If you want, for the larger sized tanks, the ultra mist high pressure stones are awesome.

"any preference for either the sweetwater airstone diffusers over the point 4 ultra fine bubble diffusers"

Oh you do not need these for this sized tank.

"in terms of current .... is it again ..... "simply" ..... a matter of positioning the CO2 output (ie ... the airstone...) .... directly in front of a stong current ... and then the current will do all the rest of the work and push the mist around the tank so that the plants can just "suck it all up"! ... "

Yes, it's deceptively simple but the flow pattern should be geared to have the mist travel around to all the points in the tank and mainly into the plant beds.

"i have a fluval 304 canister filter on my tank .... it is way more than i need for a 130L or 32US Gall tank ... for example ... a Fluval 204 which is the next model down is recommended for tanks up to 40 USgal/200 L ... the Fuval 304 which is the one that i have is recommended for tanks up to 70 USgal/300 L (the 304 has a max output of 260 US Gall per hour ) .... and even with an external CO2 reactor + inline hydro heater i have to "turn it down " and yet there is still quite a strong flow of water around the tank ... ..... so "all" i need to do is somehow plonk the airstone directly in front of the stong water flow ...again.... it's that "simple"?"

I use a Fluval 102 etc, but switched to the Via aqua brand which is the same price, actually cheaper, and higher quality.
Via Aqua is much like Ehiem, Rena etc, but cheaper cost.

"is there a "preferred" water flow pattern thru or around a tank? ..... "

You can trey both and see how it influences your pearling.
I've done both with good success.

The current pattern is about the only thing to tweak with this method and the gas flow rate.

A slightly downward circular pattern seems best to me and anything that blast mist down and then allows the mist to settle underneath the weeds is ideal also.

"regards
aussietanker"

Regards,
Tom Barr

aussietanker

Junior Poster
Nov 14, 2005
Sydney, Australia

sorry to "revive" this thread again .....

but i have been thinking on this issue of CO2, mists, equipt placement & water flow patterns etc while waiting for my sweetwater stones to arrive from the USA :) ... and reading another thread about the best position in the tank to place a venturi and the importance of water flow patterns to get the mist into the plant beds got me thinking about it again ...

if it is so critical to get the mist down into the plants roots, why not simply attach a very long (one that basically runs the length of the tank) fine pore airstone along the back wall of the tank positioned so that the bubbles shoot accross the top of the substrate right into or thru the plant beds ...... wouldn't they then naturally just float up thru the plants, hitting the leaves etc after shooting accross? ... i was thinking of something more like these point 4 airstones shown here ... i think that they can be clipped together to form a long length of airstone ... or does this reguire too much CO2 to push it along?

and BTW ... while on this subject ... does the mist method generally use heaps more CO2?

regards
aussietanker

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

That will work but they are not that small and would cost 200-300$.

Using a manifold with many limewood stones along the length might work better.

But it would be ugly.
The long air stones have issues unless they use high pressure which is a detraction. They also tend to be vairable over longer lengths and break etc. Flex tubing is very poor as fair a bubble size.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

But even if the bubbles where somewhat large with the flex tubing, that would mean the CO2 is pretty much all CO2 when it hits the plant's leaves from below. You would waste more gas with larger bubbles and have reduced contact with the leaves, but you may want to try it out.

Regards,
Tom Barr

aussietanker

Junior Poster
Nov 14, 2005
Sydney, Australia

thanks again for the info Tom ....

i am trying to hunt around here inn sydney to see if i can find a LFS that stocks the limewood stones ... will let everyone know how i go ...

in the meantime i just came accross a thing called a "Supreme Aqau Mist Maker M10 " ... there is a link to it here ... it's about 2 thirds of the way down the bottom of the page ... for some reason i couldn't get it to link directly to teh item :eek: ... but there is no description of what it does ... are theese gizmos suitable ... or do they just sound like they would be

anybodty tried one of these? ... please let us know

with regards
aussietanker

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA

I haven't tried one of these, but it sure sounds and looks like it makes a water mist in the air, instead of an air mist in the water. I don't see a use for it in an aquarium - maybe in a terrarium it would work well.