This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Camallanus Worms??

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by Jon Swanezy, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Jon Swanezy

Jon Swanezy Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:02 PM
    Hey all, ive noticed some of my Golden Rams have come down with Camallanus Worms, and from my searching the best stuff to cure a whole tank is Levamisole HCL, im hoping to get an order of this stuff tomorrow to treat my 30 gallon, but in the meantime i am trying Fenbendazole in liquid form, just soaking some of their food in hopes they eat it.

What i am wondering if anyone knows a proper dosage for fish since this is a "Goat" de-wormer based and dosing is based off weight.

Any advice would be much appreciated

I found this post, but wondering if anyone had any other stuff they have tried that worked?

http://www.houstonfishbox.com/vforums/content.php?287-camallanus-worms

#1 Jon Swanezy, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
  2. Yo-han

Yo-han Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I'm battling Camallanus myself right now for a few weeks (hardest disease I've ever encountered) with other medicines. Switched to levamisole this week, but the hard thing is to vacuum the bottom (fully carpetted aqua soil) to get the worms out, because it only paralyzes the worms. In the link below, you find everything you need to know about levamisole and fish. Good luck!

http://www.loaches.com/disease-treatment/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

3. Jon Swanezy

Local Time:
    I am trying fembendazole as well, it seems this disease starts out from snails.. so my next mission is to try to kill off all the snails.

I have levamisole on order, and will be picked up monday.. I too am gonna have the same problem as u.. I have a full carpet of HC and Glossy is filling in nicely, but i have a heavily planted tank everywhere else in my tank, not sure how im gonna get them all out?

I QT 3 of my goldens and nothing else in my tank has the disease, even tho they could be carrying it.

Let me know how it works for you or how u managed to clean the HC without pulling it up?

4. DaBub

DaBub Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    You may want to pm biollante

Bio helped a bunch of us with callanus worms

5. Jon Swanezy

Local Time:
    bio did pm me and im doing what he suggest and will have levamisole tomorrow.. unfortunately the "host" fish i had QT'ed ended up dying. The other 2 i have are looking ok though as they are eating and what not.

6. Yo-han

Yo-han Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Like with the other meds, all visible worms are gone within a few hours. Vacuumed as good as possible and will repeat 3-4 times this time. Will update if gone!

7. Jon Swanezy

Local Time:
    Yo-Han, they dropped in a few hours on Levamisole? Just wondering, hoping the Vet calls today that I can come pick up my order.. The Panacur hasn't worked all that well..

I cut open the fish that died and his insides were mush.. He had one bigger worm inside him and looked like some smaller ones. Im glad i QT'ed him and hopefully he didn't drop any others into my tank.

Were you able to vacuum without ruining your carpet? and can u see any of the worms in the aqua soil after they fall out?

8. Yo-han

Yo-han Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I can't see any worms on the substrate, but after adding the medication all worms hanging out of the fishes are gone. I soaked the food in levamisole 10% and treated the whole tank with a normal dose (so 2ppm levamisole + a little on the food).

I tried to vacuum the aqua soil as good as possible, not caring about my carpet much anymore because I hate those worms too much at the moment. Plants will grow back later. The regular vacuum from the lfs was too small (read: the aqua soil is too light) so I made one from a bottle of contactlens fluid. Worked much better, the carpet is quite intact and the I hope I sucked up a lot of worms. Really will treat 4 times this time. 2 was not enough last time, although this off course is another medicine, but the worms disappeared last time within a day too. But returned in a few weeks.

9. Jon Swanezy

Local Time:
    Well, i got Levamisole from the vet today. Did what i thought was roughly close enough to the 45mg for a 5 gallon tank called for. Hopefully in the morning the 1 Ram that has the worms loses it. We shall see.. he hasn't been acting any differently since dosing 4 hours ago.

Do the fish start acting normal again instead of mostly resting around? Haven't tried soaking their food in it either yet. Will wait and see.

10. Yo-han

Yo-han Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I soaked the food to get the med better to their intestines and hopefully hit the worms harder. Most of my fish behaved normal before the medication or a little bit shy. So not much difference, only a little less shy maybe...

11. Jon Swanezy

Local Time:
    Well it looks like my one ram who is the only one who had the disease that was actually visible is no longer showing the worms coming out of his anus.. so hopefully it fell out.

I have them in a 5 gallon glass tank with no gravel while QT'ed so.. But this morning i did see that one of them went to the bathroom and it was really dark.. it looked like the blood worms i had been feeding them, but was much much darker than any of the bloodworms i give them so hopefully the worm was within that waste.. or got sucked up by the filter..

Ill keep monitoring them and retreat in a few days..

12. Monilovesplants

Monilovesplants Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I know this is WAY past the time but thought I'd share a source....

If you look up Angel's Plus they sell medicated flake food that has both medications mentioned in this thread. I bought some and keep it on hand to use with fish who I get which are new and show signs of this. It's happened to me twice so now I keep the fish food ready to go. I have both the Lev and F one mentioned and the fish don't seem to mind it. My bottom feeders are tougher to get to eat it but it's a start.