Help setting up Aqua Medic CO2 Reactor 1000

rthomas

Guru Class Expert
Oct 25, 2007
I just bought the AM1000 and don't have the slightest clue on the placement of some of the parts. I took out everything from inside the packing and all these are in the first image. The second image is a slight zoom without the reactor. Please note that there are some kind of plastic nuts and bolts, wrapped in a small plastic bag, labeled F (second image). Those nut and bolts are in the third image.

I wonder what the item in the fourth image is for? Where should I hook it to?

I am planning to mount the reactor in the tank's cabinet. I think I will need the item shown in the fifth image. According to the instruction ( http://www.aqua-medic.com/products/docs/CO2_Reactor_1000.pdf ) ,

- Mounting outside of the aquarium
"The reactor 1000 may be mounted at a wall or inside the aquarium cabinet. For this, the holder (6) is removed and the holding plate (7) is directly screwed to the wall or the cabinet. If the reactor 1000 is used externally, make sure, that both water connections are tightened and the O-rings (9) are correctly mounted."

Now if you look at my fifth image, how am I suppose to separate the holder from the holding plate, without breaking it? Anyone done this?

Please advise. I felt so stupid :(

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I can help a little.

Image 4 is the bleed off valve. This goes on the other nipple on the top of the reactor. The one nipple is for the c02 input line and the second is a bleed valve. The c02 input has the rigid tube that goes deep into the reactor.

If you want, you can run a c02 line from the bleed vent to the pump that powers the reactor and this will re-process any c02. Search on AM1000 venturi mod for more details on this. I did it when I used this reactor and it worked well.

I could never get the pieces in image 5 apart either lol I mounted mine so it was not an issue, but otherwise would have cut it off.

I THINK they come apart, but could never do it either.

You slide the C clamps into the plate in image 5 and then the reactor is held in place by the clamps.

Hope this helps.

rthomas

Guru Class Expert
Oct 25, 2007
Hi Gerryd. Thank you for the quick turnaround.

Gerryd;30898 said:
I could never get the pieces in image 5 apart either lol I mounted mine so it was not an issue, but otherwise would have cut it off.
I THINK they come apart, but could never do it either.

You mean you hang it beside the tank?. I prefer to hide it in the cabinet, so I figure I would have to cut it :( . Wish folks can chime in and hear their experience with this issue.

Gerryd;30898 said:
If you want, you can run a c02 line from the bleed vent to the pump that powers the reactor and this will re-process any c02.
I am using Eheim Pro 2228 canister filter. So I guess I won't be able to do that. Am I correct?

The 2228 is rated at 1050 LPH. I hope it can run the AM1000.

Gerryd;30898 said:
Hope this helps.
Yes it does. But personally, I think Aqua Medic should provide a better setting up instructions. By the way, what are those pieces in image 3 are for? And what about the item that is labeled C in image 2. What is it for?

Gilles

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 6, 2008
Netherlands
You can Click "D" into "B" to hold the canister. You can use "C" (with "B" if i am not mistaken) to adjust the space the bracket hangs "off" to the side of your aquarium.

Pockets

Prolific Poster
Mar 13, 2007
I cut the hanging plastic bracket with a hacksaw so it would mount (screw) flush underneath the cabinet.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Yep, that's pretty much what I did as well............

Let us know how it works out for you. Mine did well, but was too small for my size tank and sump setup and was overwhelmed.

I would use one again in a smaller tank, say 100 gallons or less.

rthomas

Guru Class Expert
Oct 25, 2007
Gerryd;31061 said:
Yep, that's pretty much what I did as well............

Let us know how it works out for you. Mine did well, but was too small for my size tank and sump setup and was overwhelmed.

I would use one again in a smaller tank, say 100 gallons or less.

Thanks everyone.

I have managed to split the holder from the holding plate. They are actually glued together. But that take some doing :D .

I have not yet run the reactor as I am going into my 4th week growing Glosso emersed. They have really started going to town.

This is a 160 gallon tank. But I have high hope on the AM1000 reactor. Gerryd, would it be possible to describe your CO2 setup in detail. I am not familiar with this sump setup. Couple of photos would be great.

TIA.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Well, at the time I had a sump and wet/dry filter.

You understand that the water flows via gravity from the tank using overflows into the sump (just a tank of water) and uses a pump to go from the sump back to the tank? No disrespect intended, I do not know what you may know about sumps......

Sitting in the sump was a Mag 18 that sent water from the sump back to the tank. That was my 'main' flow.

Sitting NEXT to the Mag 18 in the sump was a Mag 5. This drove the AM1000. I placed a ball valve on the Mag 5 to control flow if needed. The reactor was mounted inside the cabinet on the wall.

I then stuck the OUTPUT line FROM the reactor into the INTAKE sponge of the Mag 18. That delivered the c02 enriched water to the tank.

I connected c02 tubing from the bleed valve BACK to the INTAKE of the Mag 5 for re-mixing.

Not sure if you should do this bypass step with the Eheim as the c02 bubbles may cause your filter to lock.

Hope this helps.

I may have pics laying around, but my setup is now completely different..........

The sump and overflows will degas a lot of c02, so the reactor couldn't compensate for this.

Perhaps it would have done much better had I a closed canister system like I have now.

Since your tank is just about the same size as mine, I would be curious how you make out.

Got a pic of your emersed glosso?

I submerged mine 4 weeks ago and is just now starting to send out runners. Funny, they grew tall first, then roots pointing outwards, and is now bending over to root them. Very strange! I can now see runners coming up from the gravel.

However, I have strong flow over the glosso, so it bends over somewhat due to the current. Stays in place much better than Ricca or HC at first lol

rthomas

Guru Class Expert
Oct 25, 2007
Gerryd;31077 said:
Well, at the time I had a sump and wet/dry filter.

You understand that the water flows via gravity from the tank using overflows into the sump (just a tank of water) and uses a pump to go from the sump back to the tank? No disrespect intended, I do not know what you may know about sumps......
No problem there. I now recall reading about that kind of setup somewhere.

Perhaps it would have done much better had I a closed canister system like I have now.
So what sort of reactor are you using now?

Since your tank is just about the same size as mine, I would be curious how you make out.
Theoretically I should be fine since I have used a smaller reactor before. The AM1000 is bigger and since my setup would be a 'simple' Iwagumi, I am confident that CO2 would be present almost to every corner. Though I would probably add some other plants to complement the scape, I don't think that would affect much of the flow. I have two Eheim 2228. One will be the main flow and the other will drive the AM1000.

Got a pic of your emersed glosso?
The attached image, I think, was taken a week ago. This is a 5' tank, 2.5' wide and 2' in height. BTW I am no good at snapping photos.

I am using 2x150watts MH. I have started to see some Glosso growing tall where there is not much light. But under direct light, they have sent out runners everywhere.

Would I be able to grow HC (similar Iwagumi setup) under that amount of light? If not, how much more do I need? TIA.

glosso.jpg

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Roger,

A nice setup! Can't wait till it grow in the way you want.

Yes, HC should be able to grow as well..........I think c02 is more the issue with HC to grow.

I switched to a Mazzei instead of the AM1000. I have lots of bushy stems Limnophila aromatica, ludwigia inclinata var cuba, and p.stellata broadleaf, so need a good c02 level.

How far above the surface are the MH fixture? If not already, see if you can install to easily raise/lower. MH have a large spread and height affects the amount of light at the edges of the bulb spread. As opposed to tubes which have an even spread of light.

rthomas

Guru Class Expert
Oct 25, 2007
Those MH are some 12" to 14" from the water surface. O yes, I am also thinking of slightly raising its height from the surface. Luckily that can be easily done.

rthomas

Guru Class Expert
Oct 25, 2007
HC replacing Glosso

Truth is I was teased by my daughter who had a better looking setup than mine. And she managed to convinced me to change from Glosso to HC :D

Took me about 15 to 20 minutes to uproot all the Glosso. Then couple of hours more to plant them HC. They are doing fine since I planted them about 3 weeks ago (dry method).

I intend to flood the tank after Christmas. This is a 160g tank with 2x150 MH.

Prior to this Iwagumi setup, I have had good growth with various plants using EI method:
4.5 tsp MgSO4 and 2 tsp CaSO4 after WC on Sundays
1.5 tsp KNO3 (Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays)
0.5 tsp KH2PO4 (Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays)
0.5 tsp trace (Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays)

Now since, I will ONLY be growing HC with some Eleocharis and Vivipara, would that amount to too much fertz? If yes, how much should I scale them to start with? TIA.

glosso.jpg

rthomas

Guru Class Expert
Oct 25, 2007
HC replacing Glosso

Truth is I was teased by my daughter who had a better looking setup than mine. And she managed to convinced me to change from Glosso to HC :D

Took me about 15 to 20 minutes to uproot all the Glosso. Then couple of hours more to plant them HC. They are doing fine since I planted them about 3 weeks ago (dry method).

I intend to flood the tank after Christmas. This is a 160g tank with 2x150 MH and CO2 injection with the newly bought AM1000 reactor.

Prior to this Iwagumi setup, I have had good growth with various plants using EI method:
4.5 tsp MgSO4 and 2 tsp CaSO4 after WC on Sundays
1.5 tsp KNO3 (Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays)
0.5 tsp KH2PO4 (Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays)
0.5 tsp trace (Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays)

Now since, I will ONLY be growing HC with some Eleocharis and Vivipara, wouldn't that amount to too much fertz? If yes, how much should I scale them down to, to start with? TIA.