This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Help selecting lights

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by daviesri, Apr 28, 2007.

1. daviesri

daviesri Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:35 PM
    I could use some helpful input from those who know more than I do (and there are many that do) about tank lighting. I have a 50 gallon Oceanic 30 x 18 x 21. I am looking at lighting and am currently playing with three selections:

1. The 24" Coralife Aqualight Pro 1x150W HQI w/ 2x65W actnic - Will the 24" with the single metal halide be enough to light the tank for good plant growth? I can always change the CF's for 6700's for extra light.

2. 30" Coralife Lunar Aqualight 2X65. - I know I will have to trade out the bulbs but will it give enough light to grow most plants.

3. AH Supply 2x55 kit. - Supposedly give out more light than the 2X65 Coralife but I have never bought a kit like this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Well, the HQI would be nice, you will only use it for 4 hours perhaps a day.

The rest of the time you'll use the 65W.

You can also raise the pendent up/down etc.

Same with the others.
    You can grow anything you want with the A&H also.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. daviesri

daviesri Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks Tom. I hear alot of great things about the AH Supply lights.

4. EMBX

EMBX Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Yes, the AH retrofits are good, I have 4x 55 watt of these babies and I specially love the reflectors.

Evert