This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Help Planning 300L Aquarium

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by tat, Nov 29, 2012.

1. tat

tat Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:19 AM
    Hi,

I am planning my new 330L aquarium. The aquarium and table will be delivered 21th December, and will be installed on the place where I have my actual aquarium (120L).

Ok, the new setup will be:

Aquarium: 120 x 55 x 50
    Substrate: Ada Aquasoil Amazonia (4 Bags)
    Hardscape: driftwood on the center (pic attached) and some rocks (still not chosen)
    Light : 2x39W (T5 HO)
    Plants : Echinodorus angustifolia, Echinodorus Ozelot, Echinodorus Bleheri, Anubis, cryptcorine, Sagittaria subulata, Staurogynes, Marsilea hirsuta?
    Fish : juvenile Red Marlboro, juvenil Blue Diamon, corydoras sterbai, 1 SAE, 1 L200, 5 amano shrimp, 3 neritine, 12 cardinal tetra, 2 gourami and 1 appistogramme agassize fire red (female)
    Co2 : Yes

What do you think about this setup?
    What fertilization do you recommend me? What would make different?

Thank you

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

2 x 39 Watts might not be enough, these tubes are only 83 cm. You might want to go for the 54 Watt tubes to get a better spread on the sides.

A single piece of driftwood might be not enough to create a nice scape with the tank size you have, but it depends on your goals.

3. tat

tat Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I am aware of that. I will probably have low light areas at the tank ends.
    I will be limited to only low-lights plant in the ends.
    But this is something I would like to evaluate, before I decide investing on new lights.

The driftwood is large: 50cm x 53cm x 40 cm (width, lenght ,height). I am still doing the aquarium layout mockup.

Regarding the bottom fishes, do you see any danger of corydoras and catfish(L200) messing with the ada aquasoil?

Thanks for your time

4. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Obviously they will dig around a bit. I don't think it's a big problem if you don't have a lot of them.

5. tat

tat Junior Poster

Local Time:
    pre-leeching ada aquasoil

I see.

Still talking about the ADA Aquasoil, I am thinking on doing a pre-cycling before adding to the aquarium.
    I will "install" the new aquarium on the place where I have my actual aquarium, with some corys, gouramis and appistos. So the fishes will move to the new aquarium on the first day.

My idea to do the pre-cycle, is to put the substrate on a large bucket, change the water every 3 days, until the amnonia drops to zero. I guess this could take 2 or 3 weeks. As far as I know the New Ada Aquasoil leeches much less amonia then the first and second versions.

What you think about my plan?

Thanks!

6. krandall

krandall Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    The problem with thia idea is that you then have to drain the tank, try to dry out the substrate somewhat, and COMPLETELY re-set the tank. My preference would be to scape the tank and allow the plants to help slurp up some of that excess ammonia, while keeping the fish in a separate tank, tub or other container until the new tank is ready fro them.

For that matter, even with the old Amazonia, which runs much "hotter" in the beginning, I have been able to add my fish right back into the tank if it was REALLY heavily planted AND I started with a fully cycled filter moved from another tank.

7. tat

tat Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Maybe I was not clear enough.
    Today I have a 120L (31G) tank, running 2 eheim filters (2213+2224), with some plants and fish.
    I will put the new 330L (87G) on the same place where the actual tank is.
    I don't have any place to have both tanks running at the same time.
    So, the plan is to dismount the old tank, and setup the new tank on the same day. I will use all the water, and both fully cycled eheim filters.
    Nevertheless, I am worried with ada aquasoil leeching amonia on the first days, for that reason I pretend to do some sort of substrate pre-cycle.

Don't you think, aquasoil can leech all the amonia, resting 3 weeks on a large bucket, with frequent water changes?

Thanks!

8. tat

tat Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hi,

After thinking deeply on the subject, I decided to move the old aquarium, with everything inside (substrate, fish and plants), to another room.
    So I can calmly setup the new aquarium, and let the ada aquasoil amazonia do the full cycle without any rush.

However I was thinking on add some substrate from the old aquarium, on bottom of the ada aquasoil amazonia. Do you think this may help the cycle?

Thanks

#8 tat, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012