This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Help, New Setup, Algae Issue

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by dutchtothetouch, Jun 11, 2019.

1. dutchtothetouch

dutchtothetouch New Member

Local Time:
    8:10 PM
    Bad, Verybad Algae.
    Im newbie please need help
    Hello, I've recently started a planted tank, and now I'm having some issues, algae is running over my tank and I don't know what's causing this.
    The tank has just been running for 2 weeks. 2 days ago I tried cleaning all the algae, and today they just come back and taking over my tank again.
    Here are my water parameters
    Ammonia : 0
    Nitrite : 0
    Nitrate : 25
    GH :12.5
    KH :5.5
    PH : 6.8 (CO² on)
    CO² : 3bps

I have 27watts of phillips LED and my tank is 17Litres.
    Here are my dosing:
    And I've been dosing since day 1

MACROs
    12.78 ppm Potassium K (38.34ppm per week)

10ppm Nitrates NO³/ N (30ppm per week)

3ppm Phosphates PO⁴ / P (9ppm per week)

3ppm Magnesium Mg (9ppm per week)

MICROs

.16ppm Iron Fe (.48ppm per week)

I'm using a 27Watt LED and my PAR readings are 300 at surface Level

Weekly 50% water change

I'm wondering if my light is too high or my co2 is not sufficient?

20190611_231544.jpg

20190611_231549.jpg

20190611_231602.jpg

20190611_231555.jpg

#1 dutchtothetouch, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  2. Robb

Robb New Member

Local Time:
    8:10 AM
    Hello,
    What about your filtration? You didn’t mention type or size.

300 PAR is extremely high light to have at the surface. You might consider lowering that by as much as 1/3. You can do this by using a dimmer (if your light is compatible) or raising the light higher from the surface of the tank. Also, how long are the lights on? If more than 5-6 hours per day consider shortening.

One important factor is creating enough flow throughout the aquarium. The water needs to move around to get all the nutrients to your plants (including CO2). If the flow from your filter isn’t enough consider a power head. Flow rate in LPH should be 10x tank volume.

For CO2 injection are you using an in-tank diffuser? If so, consider positioning it in the outflow of your filter to increase the amount of CO2 that dissolves into the water. Are you using pressurized CO2 or DIY? If DIY try to make sure bubble rate is as consistent as possible. Consider purchasing a drop checker to make sure the plants are getting enough CO2.

More frequent water changes helps too when a tank is new. 50% at least 2x per week. I’ve even seen the following water change regimen. These would all be 50% water volume in tank.

Daily water changes for first week.
    Every other day water changes week 2.
    Change water 3x week 3.
    Two changes week 4.
    Week 5 and on once per week.

What kind of substrate are you using? Many release ammonia during the first few weeks and that is why those water changes are so important. As the biofiltration becomes established in your tank and filter you’ll be able to decrease the frequency of the water changes.

I know this is a lot. Here’s a simple recap:

1. Lower light intensity.
    2. Lights on for no more than 6 hours per day.
    3. Adequate filtration with high enough flow.
    4. Increase frequency of water changes (and when you do changes try to remove as much organic debris as possible from substrate). Remove as much algae as possible during water changes.
    5. Position CO2 diffuser for optimal dissolution.

I hope this helps and that others chime in as well.

Tom Barr likes this.
  3. dutchtothetouch

Local Time:
    Hey! thanks for the feedback, I'm currently using the Eheim classic series (600) which is about 600l of water flow /hour? is that too much? or?

In the past I've used this filter for my larger 60cm tank, and It was already a matured tank, So I just moved the filter to this nano tank, And didin't do too long of a nitrogen cycle. But it seemed like algae issue still appeared.

Since last week, I've been doing >50% water change every other day, And it's been helping alot.
    I've also changed my bulb to a 14watt LED and now my PAR reads at 100, 130 if I lower the lights at surface level.

For CO² I've increased it to 4bps, I don't worry too much for co2 poisoning since I don't have much fish. And it seems to be getting better.

As for my dosing, I've not changed my dosing at all, do you think I should decrease or increase it?

For my substrate I'm using a local brand that's similiar to ADA amazonia.

IMG_20190625_165436.jpg

IMG_20190625_165343.jpg

IMG_20190625_165316_2.jpg

IMG_20190625_165139.jpg

IMG_20190625_165316_1.jpg

IMG_20190625_165316_0.jpg

IMG_20190625_165235.jpg

IMG_20190625_165214.jpg

Nodine, Gabe Hayes and Tom Barr like this.
  4. Robb

Robb New Member

Local Time:
    8:10 AM

5. dutchtothetouch

Local Time:
    Thanks!

I'm using the Phillips LED light bulb and
    I measure my par using lux meter on my phone and then I divide the result with the constant of 67, but I think it only works for white lights.
    I know this isn't the best way to measure par but I could at least have a general measurement on my light, it's better than having no measurement at all right?

Also about my Dosing, Yes , I do EI dosing to my tank, I was considering to dose lean like what Dennis Wong doses but I was scared that the plants wouldn't get enough nutrients, so I did EI instead.

Algae still comes at moderate amount every three days and Im considering to start dosing leaner, but have some questions atm.
    would my plants go to some kind of transition if I change my dosing? or should I just go for it?

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    2:10 PM
    Clean that diffuser and make sure to add enough CO2. Add some shrimps.

7. Gabe Hayes

Gabe Hayes New Member

Local Time:
    6:10 AM
    Looking much better

Tags: