Help! New regulator clogged/stuck: no gas flowing through bubble counter

FlyingShawn

Jun 19, 2021
PA
Good evening all,

Been in the hobby for many years, but this is my first foray into pressurized CO2. Decided to do it "right" from the get-go and splurged on a nice dual-stage Parker ir6000 from a user here who sells many regulators. Finally got around to setting it up and... it won't release any CO2!

Tank valve is open (reads about 900psi tank pressure), I've set the main regulator valve up to 95psi (doesn't go down at all even if I close all the valves, so I'm pretty sure I'm not leaking), I can hear the solenoid clicking open when I plug it in, and the needle valve is wide open, yet there are zero bubbles being released from the bubble counter even with the top of the counter removed to eliminate my tubing/diffuser from the equation.

I've tried messaging the user who sold it, but he hasn't logged in for a couple of weeks and I'm concerned about my dry-started HC carpet and some of the more sensitive plants I just planted prior to flooding the tank, so I'm hoping someone here has advice for what I should do.
Thanks

2021-10-31 00.32.33.jpg

2021-10-31 00.32.44.jpg

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
One suggestion to help troubleshoot it would be to fully close the valve to the CO2 bottle. Make sure the solenoid is powered and watch if the pressure on the operating side is dropping or not.

Then, with the gas tank disconnected move the valve from the regulator and needle valve fully back and forth a few times. Then reconnect.

Other than that I don't think there is much you can do without opening the thing up and removing one component at a time to check. Would check for a possible return to the seller first.

gsjmia

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2010
Boca Raton, FL
I am assuming the tank has gas in it and the gauge is not stuck.

Sounds like a solenoid to me. Clicking solenoid not necessarily working.

Close tank valve and let the pressure drop to zero (might have to loosen the connector to the tank to speed up).

Then remove the solenoid and open the tank valve and see if anything comes out open outlet. If not, its the regulator, probably diaphragm stuck.

If gas does come out, then disconnect the needle valve from the solenoid, reconnect the solenoid and see if anything comes out, if not, then bad solenoid (most likely cause).

if gas comes out the solenoid, then repeat with the needle valve, etc.