Help needed

aarya

Junior Poster
Jun 15, 2009
Hi forum,:)
I am a researcher pursuing my research under Fisheries microbiology. Hence, I have taken up a topic ''Nullifying Ammonia completely by employing heterotrophic bacteria''. This Ammonia is a main problem in all intensive aquaculture systems and as all of us know Ammonia is lethal to fish even in a very minute dose. Eventhough by utilizing Nitrobacter and Nitrosomanas (They are highly aerobic (needs high oxygen))we could achieve the derivatives of Ammonia such as nitrite and later nitrate which are less harmful to fishes in general and it is the most vital factor to be considered in Marine aquariums. The derivative of Ammonia is through fish excreta even through other parts of it's body. So, here I wanted to know has anyone tried and worked on this aspect. My question is - whether are there any other bacteria which can be made employable to convert/neutralize Ammonia in a much faster and efficient way? If yes, which bacteria's and How? :rolleyes::cool:
Here is an url related to this: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/343029-calculating-the-toxicity-of-ammonia-in-freshwater/

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I think Tim Hoevak(use to work for Marineland, Aquaria INC) did some good work on the species of bacteria.

From management perspective for waste water treatment, this is really what you are asking....I think aquatic plants will resolve the NH4 issue well and also enhance and reduce the need for such bacterial centered dependencies. In otherwords, plants offer another tool in the tool box for nutrient management.

And guess what? Plants and their roots/shoots are loaded with..........bacteria, in aerobic, anaerobic and hypoxic locations.

This way you could do something different and interesting biologically using aquatic plants and bacteria together.

I would suggest reading Reedy's 1984 text on aquatic plants for wastewater treatment.

He's still very active at UF.