This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

help needed with new set up !

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Johnmescal, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Johnmescal

Johnmescal Subscriber

Local Time:
    11:14 PM
    hi all..... I am a semi -newbie( keeping plants /fish for 2 years now) so please bear with me...

This is my new set-up, unfortunately I have run into a problem already which really frustrates me as I put so much thought into this from the start.

It hopefully will be a low tech tank, I have used a 50/50 mix of irish moss peat and ada aquasoil as a base layer and I capped it with seaschem flourite black sand.

On the bag of sand it said that it was not absolutely necessary to rinse it and so, i didnt, upon filling the tank it clouded up so much i couldnt see anything, at first i thought it was the easylife water treatment I was using reacting with whatever impurities might be in there but it didnt clear up completely 24 hrs later and when i went to move a sword plant in the substrate it went back to being an impenetrable dust cloud. The picture I have attached is not as bad as it was.

my quandry is what should I do to clear the water and how am i going to deal with maintaining the tank if everytime I move some substrate it kicks up this mess?

Taking out the sand and rinsing it(what I should have done in the first place!) is not really an option because of the underlying peat/aquasoil mix, it would turn into a mess.

I am thinking about capping the flourite sand with some well washed inert black sand or some ada aquasoil to hold down the flourite dust?

all the plants are dusted in the fall-out from the flourite and I find it doesnt just brush away, it needs to be manually rubbed off! feeling quite dejected with this at the moment!

tank- 60 litre opti white

light- 36w compact flourecent

filter -tetratec 600 external

plants-bucephelandra, windelov java fern-echinidorus bleheri-anubias barteri

planning on planting in rotala and some hottonia palustris when I sort my substrate out

any help/advice really appreciated, would love to get this tank back on track!

#1 Johnmescal, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2016
  2. kevinmichael77

kevinmichael77 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Just keep filtering it and do daily water changes and it will clear up soon enough. You could have just used Ada by itself. Throw some purigen in the filter if your so inclined:)

3. Johnmescal

Johnmescal Subscriber

Local Time:
    Thank you Kevin....... I only had a 3 litre bag of ada which is why I didnt use it, I am really kicking myself for not rinsing the flourite stuff out....it didnt even cross my mind to be honest and the info on the bag was slightly misleading to say the least.....it has cleared somewhat in the last 24 hours but is still a bit murky looking....I will keep doing some water changes over the next few days. I am still debating whether to cap it with something before I finish planting the substrate......you only have do slightly disturb the stuff and it kicks up a white dust....I am wondering will that eventually abate.........?

if it wasnt for the fact that I have the sand capping the peat/aquasoil mix i would totally remove the lot and give it a good washing.

#3 Johnmescal, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2016
  4. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    No matter what substrate you use it does throw up muck. Soil substrates are know for that. Flourite dust will settle over a period of time to the bottom. The ADA silk throw up soil that's broken down.

just remember to do large water change after uprooting plants no matter what substrate you use.

For your current problem few large water changes with slow fill up will clean things up. Add filter floss to your filter and replace when it clogs.

5. Johnmescal

Johnmescal Subscriber

Local Time:
    Thank you rajkm.... water changes are helping....... this is the messiest substrate I have ever experienced, totally my own fault for not washing it, I have aquasoil in another tank and I have to say it was never this bad....very happy with it.....

6. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    3:14 PM
    Once in awhile someone will get a bad batch, not saying you did, dripping water in is better.

7. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    Completely agree with Dennis here. I just flooded a Aquasoil tank. First time using it and no cloudiness at all because I was very careful with filling it up. Only some gunk on the surface which is expected with all substrates. Dripping in with a slow flow, using a plate, using your hands etc help.