This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed building Matheson 3104c

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by kwheeler91, Apr 1, 2014.

1. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:14 PM
    So I bought a used Matheson 3104c a couple days ago. I have yet to recieve it but I want to get all the parts I need ordered so I can get it a going as fast as possible. That being said im a noob as far as co2 regs go. I have been keeping planted tanks for about 6 years now though so not a total noob. Im going to use the noob guide from this site (dont remember who wrote it but thanks) as a template because all the part numbers, well most parts, are already listed and it looks simple. Here are the parts as they appear on the list I intend to use all to be ordered from swagelok per the OP's recommendations :
    (I changed the "SS" to "B" because I want brass to keep costs down)
    B-4-HLN-2.00
    B-4-RSE-2
    (solenoid)
    B-2-ME
    (needle valve)
    B-2c2-1/3 (male threaded check valve)
    B-6MO-7-2 (swagelok tube adapter replaces JBJ bubble counter)
    B-6M5-4M (tube insert)

The only other things I will need are a solenoid (planning on burkert) and the cga 320 nut and nipple. The guy who im buying the reg from said he had an aluminum one laying around i can have for free. Is this acceptable or shoud I buy a brass one?

Also I will need a plug for the extra port, from what I have read and seen in pics the 3104c has two outlets. Does anyone know the part number for one of these from swagelok or otherwise?

I appreciate any help. Im on a budget so getting it right the first time is essential. Trying to keep it under $200 in total and right on track as long as this isnt horribly wrong.*

I should mention if anyone has a post body laying around that would fit this shoot me a pm. 1/4" NPT port... I think*

Thanks

2. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:14 PM
    The parts you mentioned are correct for a 90* output build. Assuming the output is at 9 o'clock, the parts you mentioned will work.
    I would suggest getting extra ferrules (10 come on a arbor) and tubing inserts in case you need to change your tubing. These parts are cheap and should be kept on hand.
    Typically I go for brass or stainless CGA 320s, but an aluminum one should work.
    The B-4-HP is the correct part number to seal off a 1/4" NPT port, but it's a special order item. You can get the stainless version, which should be in-stock if you use this part number: SS-4-HP.
    Some of the old Mathesons require a CGA stem with fine threads. The Model 8s do for sure. Not sure about the 3104c. That one might be standard 1/4" NPT.

Hope this helps.