help-need a cure for green slime algae

danski

Junior Poster
Apr 10, 2007
i switched from my seachem micros to tropica and now im seeing alot of different algae appear,but the slime is starting to show now. i forgot what i used last time but it cleared up in days,and i need to get a handle on it. gonna go back to seachem when i reset this sunday. dan

danski

Junior Poster
Apr 10, 2007
ok..i think i used erythromycin. does that sound right? half tablet in my 29gal tank. if i remember is should be safe for my kuhli loaches. dan

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You should use about 400mg 2 days in a row and do a 50% water change prior and after 3 days of treatment(4-5 days after the 1st pills).

Or you can do a 3 day black out which kills it as well.

However, the reason you got the BGA is not due to the traces, it was due to low KNO3 dosing after some point or lack of filter cleaning(which also reduces flow rates, also a cause/cure solution for BGA) etc.

Reset the tank with larger water changes and KNO3 dosing.
Keep up on dosing KNO3 thereafter.

It might take a few weeks to get things chugging along again, but the alga will go away if you keep up on things.

Regards,
Tom Barr.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
The KNO3 dosing thereafter will resolve the issue(root cause), blackouts are free also.

Pills, blackouts etc, they just kill what is there, not prevent re occurance nor show a mechanism of inducement etc

Regards,
Tom Barr