This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Help me pick out some fish.

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by Tug, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:25 AM
    I am looking for some inhabitants for a tank that is 36" x 12" x 16" with a pH of 5.5, 4dGH. My significant other would love to have Angelfish but I am worried that the tank is a little small. If I decide against keeping any Pterophyllum "scalare" in this tank I have a breading pair of Kribensis and a Red whiptail waiting in the wings. Any suggestions?

2. Tug

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Here is a look at the tank one week in. Nothing too ambitious for my second planted tank. I am still using DIY CO2, the light is a Finnex FugeRay.

The plants are;
    Echinodorus 'Indian Red'
    Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis
    Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Bronze
    Echinodorus tenellus
    Cryptocoryne parva'
    Microsorum pteropus
    Fissidens Fontanus
    [​IMG]

3. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Tug,

definately too small for angels, maybe a few nice Apistos?

4. jimbo

jimbo Junior Poster

Local Time:
    How about some gold tetras, they're pretty small, good looking, and you don't see them that often.:)

5. Tug

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Dutchy, Jimbo, thank you.

So, for the Apistos, a pair of either Apistogramma borellii or A. veijita but no more then two in an case. There are a lot of choices out there. Let me know if you have a favorite I failed to mention.

First into the tank, some RCS. Even if they become a food source later, they will have more then a few weeks before the Apistos arrive. :eek:

Next, some Green Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon simulans). I'm not sure how many I can get into this tank and leave room for the other inhabitants, 14? If that goes well and I can find any, three Pitbull Plecos would be next in.

Last in will be the Apistos.

The tank looks like crap. I wish I had done this first but I will be trying to use the yogurt and Fissidens fontanus schmear on some wood and I will be be borrowing a PAR meter from a local club. If I can get them to hold my hand, I might even try to assemble the CO2 regulator and all the parts I've been squirreling away over the years. :eek:

6. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    How about 3-4 festivums? They are nice personable cichlids, not destructive, easy to care for and attractive fish.

They are not so large as angels either and their body shape and habits would suit your tank well.

Apistos will also work. Watch as some are harem breeders so the ratio of m/f can be vital if breeding is desired/planned. The apistos do it all in terms of breeding behaviour.

Great fish overall!

7. Tug

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Damn, Gerry. I thought you were going say I needed some A. barteri 'Petite' and then offer me some of yours.