This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

help me get my dosing down

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by torpedobarb, Jul 3, 2008.

1. torpedobarb

torpedobarb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:32 PM
    I am trying to get this whole dosing thing down.. I am not good with the whole math method.. so I think that I want to do the EI method because a 50% or more water change weekly is no problem at all. I basically need someone to tell me what and how much I should dose.. here are the ferts that I currently have.

dry...

potassium nitrate
    potassium sulfate
    mono potassium phosphate
    plantex csm+b ( I know that they are traces )

liquid...

seachem flourish comprehensive
    seachem iron
    seachem flourish excel (which I don't use unless treating black hair algae )

I have 4wpg over a 75 gallon tank using pressurized co2 maintaing approx 30ppm according to my drop checker.
    I am using SMS for my substrate with seachem flourish root tabs about every 5-6" apart.

I just need someone to tell me using the EI method.. how much to put in of each.. like what size tsp of each of the dry ferts and how many ml of the liquid micros. I currently dose the macros on monday, wed, and friday. and micros on tuesday, thursday and saturday. water changes on sunday.

I currently am dosing as follows
    potassium nitrates 3/4 tsp 3x week
    potassium sulfate 1/4 tsp 3x week
    mono potassium phosphate 3/16 tsp 3x week

seachem flourish comprehensive 10ml 2x week
    seachem iron 5ml daily

is what I am doing ok? do I need to change it? I am not that good with all the chemistry talk.. so I get confused easily. I purchased the greg watson book (which is great) to help me decide how to dose my tank. I need to do the easiest method without all the water testing ect.

please help me keep these things healthy.. they are growing fine.. some out of control. I had the main problem with the limno A melting on me.. but no real other issues. I just want to get a consistent regiment down to avoid any major problems. this is my first planted tank and I really enjoy this hobby. TIA for the help. Ken

Plants that I currently have..
    HC
    Stargrass
    Pogostemon Stellatus
    Pogostemon Stellatus Broad Leaf
    Ludwigia Verticillata
    Ludwigia Inclinata sp. Cuba
    Ludwigia Inclinata Pantanal
    Limnophila Aromatica
    Sunset Hygro (out of control)
    Red Rotala Macranda
    Limno sp. Mini
    Blyxa Aubertii
    Ludwigia Glandulosa
    Red Nesaea
    Red Tiger Lotus

2. torpedobarb

Local Time:
    bumped up for some help.

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You can start by dosing:

3/4 tsp KN03 3x a week
    ¼ tsp KH2P04 3x a week
    ¼ tsp (20ml) Trace Elements 3x a week

Dose the first two on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and the third on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Do a 50% water change on Sunday, clean the tank, "fluff" the plants, remove any algae infested leaves, lightly vacuum the substrate, etc. When adding the replacement water, add a dechlorinating product such as Seachem Prime. Also on Sunday if your water GH is less than 5 dGH, add Seachem Equilibrium sufficient to raise the GH by 2 dGH per the bottle dosing directions. You can dose the dry fertilizers by just dumping the measuring spoon into the tank. Or you can premix them with some water and pour them in. Both are good methods.

Is that understandable?

4. torpedobarb

Local Time:
    yep... thank you! sorry for someone having to go the (special) understanding route. this can just be overwhelming when first starting out.