Help ID'ing this plant

dapellegrini

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 17, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I have searched the APC Plant Finder, Tropica, Plant Geek, etc and cannot come to a conclusion on what plant I have here. A short description/history:

I picked three of these up at a LFS maybe a month ago. They do not have a rhizome or bulb, just a root ball at the base, which it uses to anchor itself very effectively in my Eco (was really in there when I went to move some of it). It does not seem to grow more than 12-inches or so tall, is throwing new leaves, but does not seem to be a quick grower. The leaves are round and firm, will break easily if bent more than 15-degrees or so.

It is housed in Eco-Complete with 324w of T5HO (8 hours a day full blast), EI ferts and automated CO2 at around 30-40ppm.

My best guess is perhaps some kind of Eleocharis, perhaps montevidensis or acicularis ???

Notice the horizontal white line segments:

DSC02829.jpg

DSC02832.jpg

And here I took a piece out and broke it in half to show the structure a bit. It appears to have 2 viens that run the length of each leaf. Here you are looking at both ends of the break:

DSC03010.jpg

Anyone?

:confused:

dapellegrini

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 17, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Tom! It is hard to find any good information on this plant in the context of the aquarium hobby.

Next time I move one of these, I am going to have to study the roots a bit more.

reiverix

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2005
I've saw it listed under a few names such as quillwort and octopus plant. I used it as an alternative for the italian val because the growth rate is more manageable. I had one that was 5 inches out of the water line in my 75g but I must have damaged the roots after relocating it and it lost a lot of leaves. Hopefully it wil recover.