Help... Dead Vortex Reactor pump (while I am away!)

aronson

Prolific Poster
May 25, 2005
Red Hook, NY
:eek:

Arrived earlier today in Phoenix for a business conference... Hours later my wife called from home to say that the pump attached to my Plant Guild Vortex Reactor had stopped moving water in the reactor chamber and was grinding away with a nasty noise (which I could hear over the call). I had her unplug the pump and turn off the CO2 tank solenoid lest it continue to pump into the non-moving reactor.

I won't be back in the house until Thursday AM. UGH. So... In the mean time... What do I do about the lack of CO2? I told my wife to hold off on fertilizing until I return. What else do I need to do to minimize the impact?
What might the impact be?

Ugh. :(

Help.

Adam

turbomkt

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
San Diego, Ca
Re: Help... Dead Vortex Reactor pump (while I am away!)

I'd say cut lights back to 8 hours or less. Maybe even go for a black out? With either of these I'd say give it a normal dose of ferts first (assuming the wife can do this).

--Mike

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005

:) sounds like it has an airlock in it. if she can reach in and turn upside down,then back to normal position it will start up again. if this does not work the entire unit must be soaked in bleach and rinsed very good.these pumps i've found to be good for many years,but they will stop running if not cleaned periodicaly. i like to set in bucket of bleach and run the pump while soaking,then leave running and rinse good.then turn off and add water conditioner to kill any bleach left over to be on safe side. then rinse again. this will also clean reactor chamber and tubbing. have fun! regards, cornhusker :) :)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

If she just gives it a shake, inverts it, and plugs it back in, it should work fine.

Since the pump is on the top, it'll can get gas lock when it starts up.
A little shake will solve that or you can add a small burp hole.

Just have her look at it while you are gone and have her jiggle it good if it makes any noise, not running etc.

The impellar in the pump might be stuck also, all she needs to do is tap it and they generally start running again.

Regards,
Tom Barr

aronson

Prolific Poster
May 25, 2005
Red Hook, NY

Thanks to everyone for their responses and assistance!

My wife is reluctant to touch anything around the tank so it looks like the shaking out of any trapped air will have to wait until I am home Thursday AM.

I appreciate the advice I've been given here and via email (thanks, James!). In the mean time I had her turn one of the Coralife strips off (limiting the light to 55w). She added Flourish yesterday but that will be it until I get home.

Best,
Adam