Hello

darren_in_the_marsh

Junior Poster
Apr 14, 2005
San Francisco, CA
just signed up, glad to be here. i liked the post about 'internet advice' and have always taken every bit of advice with a grain of salt, but really look forward to learning more here.

one question: i found this site yesterday, after years of avoiding 'the net' (tank turned bad, again, and cant seem to jump start it this time), and was super intrigued with EI. i read the **read only** article, but---

is there a more detailed, descriptive text/article encompassing all the intracacies of EI dosing, lighting, etc somwhere on this webpage?? yes, i am looking to be spoon fed!

cheers, darren

tank specs: 30g, 2x55w PC (JBJ), co2 pressure, aquaclear 200, flourite substrate

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States
Re: Hello

darren_in_the_marsh said:
super intrigued with EI. i read the **read only** article, but---

is there a more detailed, descriptive text/article encompassing all the intracacies of EI dosing, lighting, etc somwhere on this webpage?? yes, i am looking to be spoon fed!

Darren ...

What questions do you have ...

We need to feed our plants a well balanced diet ... EI is a basic concept the guides you through dosing macro nutrients and micro nutrients during the week, with a major water change approximately every week ...

The core recommendations are to dose macro nutrients 4 times a week and micro nutrients 3 times a week ... and do a water change once a week ...

I personally dose Macros on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday ...
I personally dose Micros on Tuesday and Thursday ...

I usually do a major water change either on Sunday night or Monday morning ...

I have average light, pressurized CO2 on my 180 gallon tanks ...

I have low light and no CO2 on two 55 gallon tanks ...

Please feel free to post any questions you have ...

Thanks,
Greg

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Hello

darren_in_the_marsh said:

cheers, darren

tank specs: 30g, 2x55w PC (JBJ), co2 pressure, aquaclear 200, flourite substrate

For your tank do this:

Clean the tank well. I mean pull up the roots and trim off the bottom and replant the healthy tops. Net out any leaves or junk. Clean filter, glass, equipment well.

Then do the 50% water change using the tap and dechlorinator.
Always do this last.

Next add:
KNO3(1/4 tsp) and KH2PO4(about a rice grain's worth) 3x a week
Add traces (5mls) 3x a week on off days.

What is your GH?
If lower than 4, add about 1/4 teaspoon of SeaChem Equilibrium after the water change.

Prune well, maintain tank consistently.
Have a decent amount of algae eaters.

If you need more info, ask.

If you liked the comments from that post about the net, read what I posted about pseudoscience.

Regards,
Tom Barr