This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Hello :)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by LouLou, Sep 13, 2017.

1. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:46 AM
    Yep I saw it, looks like a huge trunk to me, that's a big A root.

2. LouLou

LouLou New Member

Local Time:
    4:46 AM
    It's not very large only 14 inches long. About 4 inches or so wide.

rodoselada likes this.
  3. snarkingturtle

Local Time:
    Eastern Redcedar Juniperus virginiana I guess, which is actually a juniper (so not very closely related to Western Red Cedar which is a Thuja). I agree with Dutch in that your piece is probably OK as far as I know.

4. rodoselada

rodoselada Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Welcome LouLou!

LouLou likes this.
  5. LouLou

LouLou New Member

Local Time:
    Yeah I think I remember it being called Juniper. Did you see the photo? It's 14 inches long. I've had it for more than 10 years and probably longer. It was inside for a long time, then out on Rock wall in the sun for 3 years or so. Think it would be safe? Should I let it soak and test water? If so what would I test for? BTW Thanks

rodoselada likes this.
  6. LouLou

LouLou New Member

Local Time:
    Thank ya... Hope to learn somethings...

7. LouLou

LouLou New Member

Local Time:
    All I can find is that Juniper is toxic to fish, (J.virginiana) Needles, stems, berries. So it's advised not to plant near ponds. Haven't found any other info.
    The root I have is 25 years old... Figured it by my daughters age. She's 20 and I had it before she was born.
    I'm not sure I'll use it, fear of hurting the fish. I'll find something safer. Like oak stump or ? any suggestions on what species of tree root to look for? Thanks again. LouLou :)

8. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I'd say you can use it.
    Especially at that age.
    When junipers and cedars, pines, etc are alive, they claim they're toxic because they are a territorial plant and kill anything on it or around it. That's why when you see a cedar or something, there will be more than one nearby. Its very aggressive.
    When dead, 30 years + usually is the recommended...
    You can use it, because it stops leaching the ingredient in it that kills everything.
    I have seen cedars and cypresses around ponds commonly, although its hard to get the needles out and all that, its not "dangerous" it only is in large amounts (in ponds)

LouLou likes this.
  9. LouLou

LouLou New Member

Local Time:
    It's not cedar or Juniper, We drilled a hole in it. It's some type pine. Would 25 year old pine root be safe??

10. LouLou

LouLou New Member

Local Time:
    Drilled hole in it. It's pine root. 25 years old+ Older than my daughter and she's 21. so.. ? Old Pine root safe huh?

11. LouLou

LouLou New Member

Local Time:
    Sorry another Question... I have Sycamore Tree branch (dead) Can I bake it in the oven and then soak it? Too long to boil. How long should I bake it and what temp?(Hope I didn't send this message 2 x's. I'm just learning this forum thing)

12. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    @LouLou np.
    I have never oven baked hardscape before... So I cannot say. Idk anyone on here with that experience either, maybe someone will come around to answer that for ya.
    Sycamore is fine in a aquarium btw. Ive personally used it first hand. The leaves are good to for shrimp.

LouLou likes this.
  13. LouLou

LouLou New Member

Local Time:
    How do you clean it before putting in tank? Just soak it? Boil half and then other half? Sorry about all the questions. Thanks for replys.

14. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I promote your questions! :D

To prepare wood, I personally, boil it (however you can, this kills any bacteria on/in the wood or living things), dry it in the sun, then put it in a tub of water to leech out tannins, Then you can try to sink it in your tank.
    If its to big to boil, put it in a big plastic tub and continue to pour boiling water on it.
    Or in your bathtub with MAX hot water.

LouLou likes this.
Tags: