This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Hello, old biologist returns

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Edwin, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Edwin

Edwin New Member

Local Time:
    1:47 PM
    I am a retired marine fisheries biologist. Shortly after I retired over a decade ago I got into planted aquariums. Had a beautiful 75 gallon tank that was so stable that I had Amano shrimp live 7 years. The last one would have lived even longer but a bristle-nose decided to eat the shrimp while it was shedding. Killed the shrimp and the bristle nose. Blue and Red Columbian tetras spawned (started with five ended up with a dozen doing nothing extraordinary.) I still have a very old true SAE which is no longer in the 75 but was moved to a smaller tank along with two also very old Chained loaches. About five years ago I had a catastrophic injury to by back and two surgery. All I did until recently was just change the water in both tanks and feed the fish. The tanks became overgrown. My back is much better. My primary lighting on the 75 finally died so I have gone to LEDs. That has gotten me interested again planted tanks. I have found that many things have changed while I was away, like our understanding of what is going on in the tank while other things have remained unchanged like trying to determine the quality and reliability of internet plant and fish providers.

Mike k and DutchMuch like this.
  2. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:47 PM
    Hi Edwin,
    I hope to learn much from you, as you sound like an incredibly knowledgeable person, I recommend this to just about everyone but you should make a journal on here to document your tanks progress as it progresses. A 7 year old amano shrimp... I think only few have accomplished that, good job!

Hope you enjoy the forum and get back into planted tanks, we all dip out sometimes but then we always turn right back in.

Nate

Mike k likes this.
  3. Edwin

Edwin New Member

Local Time:
    1:47 PM
    Appreciate I was a MARINE fisheries biologist. In the field I worked on large pelagic fish, e.g, swordfish, billfish, and tunas and a tropical estuarine gamefish, called snook (and mosquitoes, long story.) The reason I set up a freshwater planted tank when I retired was because it was DIFFERENT than marine systems. In my last days on the job I also regulated the Marine Life Industry (marine tropical fish and invert collectors) and served on our state's aquaculture committee. I am not sure I learned anything technical from either one. When I established my tanks the first time around I just did it by steps in a process. I didn't think it was anything special. The only two problems I had back then was algae very briefly until the tanks matured and the 75 gallon tank failing one day. Why the Amano shrimp, at least the last, lived so long is a mystery to me (and yes the shrimp survived the tank failure.). I do know that when I had several Amanos and the tetras that the Amanos were spawning in the tank because I was not feeding the baby tetras. As you probably know Amanos don't need brackish water to actually spawn but their larvae need it to survive. How long their larvae survive in freshwater is hard for me to say since I never actually saw any but they obviously did long enough to be eaten by juveniles fish. I know the Amano females would be carrying a lot of eggs one day and none the next. Right now I am a bit impatient. The big tank is looking better. I have cleared and pruned. I plant several Hygrophilai sp. The tank had been overgrown with an anubia species, Crypt balanse and a single, now large Crinum calamistratum. Interestingly I have the Crypt in both the large and small tank. It looks totally different in each. Right now I am waiting for a second order of plants and re-learning fertilization schedules and amounts and dealing with a minor string algae outbreak. Our water has always been harder than average but over the past decade it has gotten even harder so how I did things before has changed. I did find my second old journal yesterday. Anyway it all keeps me busy and messing with biology my love since I was in the fourth grade.

Mike k, Christophe and DutchMuch like this.
  4. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:47 PM
    Welcome to the club!
    upload_2017-8-6_12-34-3.jpeg
    upload_2017-8-6_12-33-49.jpeg
    upload_2017-8-6_12-33-26.jpeg

Tags: