Hello! I have a 144g and a 100g I want to plant

John_Auberry

Junior Poster
Mar 25, 2008
Hello my name is John. I live in North Carolina US. I have kept salt water most of my life. Do to me working full time and going to school full time I just got into fresh water. I recently turned my 144g half circle from a reef to a cichlid tank. I want to add plants to it that cichlids wont eat, like onion plant. I also want to turn my 100g cylider tank into a planted tank also. Im completely new to freshwater and planted tanks. I look forward to chating with all of you.
100_2677.jpg

John_Auberry

Junior Poster
Mar 25, 2008
I cut the overflow out of the middle so I can plumb a canister into to bottom......I think it will work. The lights will be wired from the ceiling so I can walk 360 degrees around the aquarium. Any comments on what can go wrong?

tank90.jpg

100_2713.jpg

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi John,

Welcome and good luck. Nice reef BTW.

Plants for the cichlid tank could include Java Fern and Java moss. Bolbitis and Anubias species may also work well. Vallisneria and Sagittaria species are both grasslike and can be short or tall varieties and would do well in cichlid water (high ph and k/g). All are tough but attractive and all like to attach to rock and wood (not the sag and val though). Fish don't like to eat them for the most part and they provide shelter/breeding sites for all fish.

I think the filter idea will work well, but how will you cover the bottom but keep these inlet/outlet clear? I can see the outflow back into the tank spewing substrate all over based on what you use. Plus, how will you keep the bottom strainer clean? Will this be raised and covered with a sponge and hidden???? How will the outflow be directed?

The height of the tank bothers me for several reasons, but can be countered:

1. Surface area for the exchange of gasses at the water surface. This can be enhanced by more/better flow throughout the tank. Really depends on your final bio-load and filter size/type.

2. Cleaning the inside of algae or just aqauscaping in general. I hope you have long arms, because it will be tough to stand on something AND reach in to the tank. :) Good luck with that :)

3. A deep tank is more difficult to light if it has plants. This may take you into MH territory, which you should have from your reef days. Switch to 6500k bulbs......

I would also try and select fish that like to do laps for this 100g tank. Angels or Angels would work well in this setup IMO.

Hope this helps.

John_Auberry

Junior Poster
Mar 25, 2008
Thanks for the reply......the inlet and outlet will be raised about 3inches with strainers to keep fish out. I have a few MHs laying around, Im thinking about a 150w HQI
100_1973.jpg

but I might use the 250w HQI
100_1972.jpg

John_Auberry

Junior Poster
Mar 25, 2008
as far as fish I was thinking about 100 neon tetras and mabey 3 angles, would that be to many. I have a fish whole seller about an hour from my house and I can pick them up for about 25 cent each

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
The 250w may be too much, but experiment to see what is best. I have 3x150w 6500k over my 180......

# of fish is okay, but Angels tend to eat neons, so just ensure that the neons put on some size before adding the Angels..........

However, mature large angels will be able to catch and eat most of them.

Keeping them fed well will help prevent this..........