This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Hello I Am From Kolkata, India

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sam_08, Oct 7, 2018.

1. sam_08

sam_08 New Member

Local Time:
    11:31 PM
    I am a newbie and glad to join the community. I will ask you tons of questions about setting up a new tank, lol. I hope I will get help from you.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

KeeperOfASilentWorld likes this.
  2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    7:01 PM
  3. sam_08

sam_08 New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the support. Here goes my questions-

My will be project is a 5.5 feet( 65 inch) long, 19 inches wide and 22 inch high tank. This is the maximum available space on the kitchen top which is not in use. But One problem, there are wooden cabinates above the top which are 14 inch thick and at a height of 25 inch from the top . So some front part ( 5 inch) of the tank will remain clear for access and the middle section ( 27 inch) of the tank has no cabinet above it so available to access the bottom of the tank. I think it is enough but the light will remain max 2.5 inch above the water level. I don't want to reduce the dimensions of the tank.

Q 1. I have decided to build it with 12 mm glass( front panel with low iron and back panel foggy glass), will that be enough? Should I use toughned glass bottom panel? ( my plan is to use about 30-40 kg stone divided to the left and right section of the tank). Is bracing must? Is cross bracing also needed?

4. sam_08

sam_08 New Member

Local Time:
    Q 2. Light - I have virtually divided the tank into three sections. My plan is to use a 20 watt led spot to the left section, two 20 watt led spot to the middle section and a 20 watt led spot to the right section (all 6500K). Is the lighting enough?( lights will be 2.5 inch above water level)? My plan is to plant heavily. I also have decided to use led dimmer if the light is more. It will also help to create depth in the scape. Will dimming the light to some extent cause change in colour temperature significantly? I will use timer and the duration of light will be 4 hours then a break of one hour and again 4 hours. This is to minimise the chance of algae problem. Is it okay?

5. sam_08

sam_08 New Member

Local Time:
    Q 3. The substrate- I have decided on aqua soil. The left section will have high mountain style. To fill the gaps between stones can I use worm cast? It will be topped with aqua soil.

6. sam_08

sam_08 New Member

Local Time:
    Q 4. The substrate- I have decided on aqua soil. The left section will have high mountain style. To fill the gaps between stones can I use worm cast? It will be topped with aqua soil. algae. Is the filtration system enough or I have to use 2 such? If so where to place them inside the tank?

7. sam_08

sam_08 New Member

Local Time:
    Sorry, same question pasted twice.
    4) The filtration system- There is space crunch so cant use canister filter. So I planned on a top filter with 40 watt power head. There will be bio media and aquaponics to reduce the chance of algae. Is it enough or I have to use 2 such? If so where to place two power heads inside the tank?

8. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    Welcome.
    1. I would definitely go with thicker bottom. Gives more contact area. You are almost building as wide as a 180p. A ADA 180p is 15mm and I would go with that to be safe for front and side panels.

2. I would say that won’t be enough light, given the dimensions of the tank. Unless you are only planning slow growers, low light plants. Many other plants will grow and survive but if you are chasing colors, it’s not enough.

3. yes you can use any filler. Usually people use netted bags of crushed lava rock but anything is fine. Make sure to support the substrate with rocks or else it won’t hold the height forever.

4. Not sure of what filter design you are thinking. You should ideally target 10x turnover per hour for filteration.

9. sam_08

sam_08 New Member

Local Time:
    I am bit confused about the thickness of glass. I put the values in glass thickness calculator and at safety factor 4 it showed 12 mm glass is okay. when I put the safety factor at 3.8 it showed 11 mm which is not very reliable. So I pushed the factor to 4 which is fairly acceptable. Also it was said that a center brace effectively divides the tank into two half thereby increases the safety factor to 4.7 which is quiet satisfactory.

I am not sure whether I can get 15 mm glass localy or not. will it be safe to use 12 mm toughned glass for all the panels including bottom?

Yes I will use mix fillers and will keep in mind to stabilize the rocks and will use pvc strips as substrate support to maintain the height.

I was sceptic about the light and you have confirmed it. So I will use total of 100 watt led each 25 watt, hope that will support light hungry plant if I use any.
    Please advice on the use of led dimmer. I think it can be a great use of tecnology to create depth in the scape but I don't know how much change it will do to the colour temperature at a particular intensity.

Filter- my intention is to use top filter (mini sump). A power head will lift the water to the sump and the water after passing through mechanical and bio media back to the tank. My doubt is whether one 40 watt power head can do the job or not. As advertised in amazon they said it can handle tank upto 7 feet. If not sufficient can I use two power head? But the flow in the aquarium probably will be to much for the plant, in that case how to use two power heads?

Thanks for your time and support, these are really helpful for my project. I am working hard to prepare myself on this. Reading, watching video,taking notes etc. I know it is of large magnitude so taking every precaution I can make. I don't want to be in the wrong foot from the begining. Thanks in advance again.
    [​IMG]

10. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    If you use a center brace you should be ok with 12mm. I know of atleast one person who built a 130g and had 13mm glass and had some flex in middle, so had to center brace it euro style.

7ft of head height v/s flow are 2 different things. 40w is power consumption and usually would mean a powerful pump. What you need to look at is it gallon or liters per hour. That will tell you what your turnover will be.

Light dimmer is good to have for sure.

sam_08 likes this.
  11. sam_08

sam_08 New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for your advice, it is helpful for me. Will disturb you again when in doubt lol.