Hello from the Philippines

PapaBear

Junior Poster
Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2013
Quezon City, Philippines
Good day to all.

I started fish keeping and planted tanks around 10 years ago but the dangerous combination of ignorance and being stubborn resulted to a frustrating experience. After a decade, a little older (hopefully wiser) and with a more prudent approach to the hobby, I am hoping this will be different.

The internet boom here in the Philippines significantly improved the hobby as a whole , but the overflow of information has made it quite difficult to discern fact from fiction already. The few forums that I have been following (at least the posts that I have personally found to be useful) have always given credit to Tom Barr and this forum as the primary source of the information. For someone that has literally zero knowledge, this was the best opportunity for me to start learning from a truly reliable source.

Although considered as a 3rd world country, there is a multitude of hobbyists of planted tanks here in the Philippines. Without ready access to equipment and peripherals, we often end up making DIY solutions. This is also one of the reasons why I like this forum – it will never have a shortage of DIY projects. It is probably in one’s nature to look for something more cost effective, but equally functional.

I am still a bit overwhelmed with the terminologies and the science behind it, but I would rather go through this and learn what is right, than to fill my head with fiction and hearsay. For the love of the hobby, it is all worth it.

Cheers!

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Hi and welcome at the BarrReport. I'm sure you can find the answers to your questions here, based on a scientific approach and logic. No snake oil stories :)

If you might not find answers to your questions, don't hesitate to ask.