This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Hello From Michigan! (:

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kate, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Kate

Kate New Member

Local Time:
    9:36 PM
    Hi there!

New to keeping fully planted tanks. Am starting the process on my 37 gallon tank and can't be more excited:) It will be non-CO2, but I will be dosing EI and use a high powered light on a timer to control algae. The tank is not yet stocked in terms of fish and plants, except for a few crypts, some DHG that i know won't carpet, and 6 kuhli's and a female betta! Female betta will be moving to a different tank end of august :)

Allwissend likes this.
  2. Greggz

Greggz Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:36 AM
    Good to see another Michigander!

In general, high powered light + EI ferts minus CO2 is a recipe for algae.

In my opinion, if you are not going to provide CO2, less light and ferts with low tech plants would be better and easier to manage.

Good luck. Once you get going, you should start a journal. Many would like to follow along and see what you come up with.

3. Fisherking

Fisherking Member

Local Time:
    8:36 PM
    Greetings! I'm a lifetime Michigander just recently transplanted to Texas. I'd second the low tech plants for a first planted tank. There is a good variety of plants in that category and you can do a great 'scape without the do-it-all-now stress. Whatever you decide--enjoy!

Allwissend likes this.
  4. Kate

Kate New Member

Local Time:
    Good to know! Would keeping the original light but using my EI ferts be okay? I've already ordered the fertilizer so I would feel bad if it went to waste!

Also will be uploading a journal probably this weekend! Thanks!

5. Greggz

Greggz Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You didn't mention what light you will be using? Light drives everything else, so knowing more would be helpful.

With lower light, you can still dose EI ferts, just at a reduced rate.

The more detailed information you post about everything (lights/ferts/filtration/substrate/etc.) will help others offer advice.

You really want to plan everything out before hand and set your goals, because it will determine everything else you do. So let's say you decide to go low light low tech no CO2, that will determine which plants would most likely be successful for you. If you decide to add CO2 and higher light, then that is a completely different animal.

6. Kate

Kate New Member

Local Time:
    The light I'm planning to get is the Finnex Planted tank light + 24/7.

Now everyone I talk to off the site is saying that I won't have algae problems because EI will prevent it? I don't know, I need to do actual research and find studies that were done because I'm getting conflicting information and not sure who to believe :L So frustrating. Anyways, will be doing research and finding studies done. More actual evidence of what happens.

7. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You will have algae, the question is how much! :D
    We all seem to have some form of algae from time to time.
    A clean tank and clear water will help greatly.

EI is not a cure all by any means, neither is CO2.

Try to buy plants that have already been grown submerged to avoid any transition and melting.

8. Kate

Kate New Member

Local Time:
    That makes sense. Thank you!!

9. Greggz

Greggz Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    EI dosing usually assumes you are dosing CO2. In general, needs to be a balance between lighting, ferts, CO2 (and throw in good tank maintenance too!).

Increase one and the need for more of the others increases as well.

As I said before, high light + EI ferts minus CO2 is asking for trouble.

And as to studies, I don't know of any that are conducted on actual planted tanks. In my experience, there is no recipe that works for everyone. Too many variations between the eco systems we create. Find folks who keep similar tanks to what you have in mind, and read their journals, and maybe ask them some questions. I think that would be very helpful to you.

Keep in mind there is always going to be some trial and error involved, and it takes time to figure out what works in your tank. I read in another post of yours that you won't be there to tend the tank much, correct? If so, hopefully someone is there to take care of it, because planted tanks require a good deal of attention to be successful. Regular maintenance is very important, so I would keep that in mind.

10. Kate

Kate New Member

Local Time:
    I'm part of a discord channel with multiple people in there dosing with fertilizers via EI method, no CO2. Most of them said I shouldn't have any issues so long as I keep my light on a timer, which I plan to do, and that I just need to find a good balance!

While I'm away, my brother (who also keeps tanks) will be dosing the tank and doing the water changes, trimming, feeding, etc. while I'm at school. I've taught him everything I know and he does his own research as well. He's pretty good at it and I'm pretty comfortable leaving him up to the task :) He knows how strict the regimen is and keeps his tanks on a strict schedule as well!

Slin likes this.
  11. Greggz

Greggz Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    OK I get it now. The leader of that discord group has been banned from this and other sites. I've seen pictures of many of those tanks. Good luck to you.

Phishless likes this.
  12. Fisherking

Fisherking Member

Local Time:
    8:36 PM
    "OK I get it now. The leader of that discord group has been banned from this and other sites. ". I don't get out much.......who knew there were rebel aquascapers in the world ?

Greggz likes this.
  13. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    No rebels in the aquascaping world! :rolleyes:
    Proof is always in the puddin! :D

Allwissend likes this.
  14. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    3:36 AM
    Hello @Kate welcome to the forum :) and to planted tanks.

Reading up on the topics is the right way to go but you will see that some things can only be learned with hands on experience. Like you did with fish. So keep up and don't consider algae the enemy. Algae are also part of keeping a planted tank, you will get the chance to learn to deal with them, learn the different types and what favours their growth.

However, keep your focus on growing healthy plants. Your focus should always be on keeping the plants healthy and growing. Like it was suggested, starting with many healthy easy plants will make your job easier. I see a lot of people from Michigan here, maybe they can send/sell you some cuttings. That way you'll receive them fresh.

As far as the EI method I would recommend reading these topics and ask questions until you understand completely how it goes. PM if you have any questions, (yes even the ones where you think you should understand...):
    https://barrreport.com/threads/the-estimative-index-of-dosing-or-no-need-for-test-kits.52/
    https://barrreport.com/threads/non-co2-methods.2792/
    https://barrreport.com/threads/the-light-limiting-growth-management-method.6566/
    https://barrreport.com/threads/the-estimative-index-of-dosing-or-no-need-for-test-kits.52/
    https://barrreport.com/threads/confusion-about-ei-and-other-myths.4845/

There are many things going on in someone else#'s aquarium that not even the owner is aware of. So it's hard to say something works for sure . In time you will develop an eye for how the plants and fish behave and will be able to make adjustments for your tank.

I wouldn't be that quick to judge people over the internet. It's much harder to accurately do than in real life, and even here one finger points away , 3 toward you. In the end @Phishless is right, we are a planted tank forum, we treasure people who grow good plants and nice planted tanks. We also value and seek to improve the skills of new members who want to get to those goals.

Phishless and Greggz like this.
  15. Kate

Kate New Member

Local Time:
    Thank you for this message, it contains a lot of useful information that I can actually apply :) will message you as needed!! Gonna read those articles now.

Tags: