This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Hello From Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by milanzdimal, Jun 25, 2019.

1. milanzdimal

milanzdimal New Member

Local Time:
    9:20 AM
    I've been on the forum for some time reading everything I can, especially the advice from Tom. This forum and the GreenAqua YouTube videos have been a source of knowledge and inspiration. A few months back I started growing plants in my basement to see if I could do it well and algae free and I have been pretty successful.

I decided to jump in head first and started with a 180 gallon rimless tank, 61x32x23 (LxWxH). I have a 4', 8 bulb chepo Chinese T5 light from Amazon which grows my plants really well. I am only running 4 bulbs right now while the tank matures and things stabilize. Running pressurized Co2 and currently doing about 5-6h photo period. I run an Apex controller with Ph probe, but only for monitoring (not co2/solenoid control). Automatic dosing of two part EI daily. 3 Ehiem 2078 filters as well as a dedicated 1200 gph external pump feeding a Co2 reactor. The co2 reactor is two Big Blue 20" canisters filled with Siporax.

I am really big into automation. The tank was drilled like a reef tank and plumbed so I only need to open a valve to drain it and open another valve and turn on a pump to fill it from a water reservoir in the basement. I am hoping this helps keep up with good water change husbandry. Just using plain old tap water with Prime. I figure if I can't grow it in my tap water, I don't want to bother with RO water and remineralization at this point. Just trying to keep it simple.

Looking to keep small fish, like tetras for now. I'm aiming for balance and keep fish that are beneficial to the entire system, while being interesting to look at.

I am looking to get out of the shadows and maybe ask some questions on the forum as any challenges come up.

Here is a picture of my tank so far. This side view is by far my favorite. I'm really looking forward to seeing it grow in.

20190624_224155.jpg

Anyways. Hi everyone. :)

#1 milanzdimal, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  2. milanzdimal

milanzdimal New Member

Local Time:
    Oh and if Tom reads these intros, then thank you so much for all your advice to others over the years and for keeping this forum going. This forum and your advice to others has been such a useful resource!

3. Varun

Varun New Member

Local Time:
    10:20 AM
    Hey there,
    How were you able to post pic links on your second post? The forum doesn't allow me even after I have posted two times.
    cheers
    V

4. milanzdimal

milanzdimal New Member

Local Time:
    I have no idea. I just tried to upload one and it work. Maybe I've been signed up and lurking for long enough?

Varun likes this.
  5. Varun

Varun New Member

Local Time:
    10:20 AM
    Maybe. Thanks :)

6. Gabe Hayes

Gabe Hayes New Member

Local Time:
    7:20 AM
    I love the side view! What kind of sand substrate is that? Any problems with it? Did you get algae? Do you use tap or RO water?

7. milanzdimal

milanzdimal New Member

Local Time:
    The sand is called National Geographic white sand and I got it at Pet Smart in the states. It has a larger grain size then normal sand and is a consistent white look. I had some die off from my plants when I transferred them into the 180 and until I got the co2/lights/ferts dialed in. That triggered a bit of thread algae in the tank, but I am slowly winning the battle. I just use aged tap water with prime... Nothing fancy.

Thanks for the nice comments. Here is an updated photo.

20190711_214125.jpg

Gabe Hayes likes this.