This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Hello From Boston Ma (boy Did I Ruin My Tank)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Guzas, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Guzas

Guzas New Member

Local Time:
    3:45 AM
    Hello,

I have had a planted tank for about 4 years now. I have a thread on “planted tank” documenting my progress and plan on updating that thread with my “Revised” tank. Many things in the past 4 years have happened. Namely having a daughter for which threw everything into a holding pattern. But more recently I had Black Beard Algae that was continuing to get worse and worse due to neglect. So one evening I decided to do something about it. After cleaning my canister filter (after about 6 months of not cleaning) I took out the hydrogen peroxide and let it all have it in the tank. I don’t kow what came over me but I WAY overdosed my tank. I spot treated a whole bunch of the BBA and I guess seeing it all fizz up just was intoxicating... and since there was not all that much left in the bottle I decided to keep using it till I had used it all up. Ignoring all common sense and advice I had read on forums in the past. My guppies have been continually replenishing their population for the past 8 or so years and seemed bulllet proof. Well these poor folks would suffer that night and very badly.. for that I feel upset and angry with myself..

Fast forward to the next morning and to my horror I lost probably 70% of my fish... (floating, drifting,and clogging the filter tube) the ones that were struggling to survive were lethargic and gasping for air. So I broke out the water hose and did a 50% emergency water change. I come home that evening and still some additional losses. Fish weren’t interested in food and still looked stressed. I took the canister filter out and gave it a good clean due to all the death that just occurred.. and just left things alone as the fish had suffered enough the past 2 days so felt it was vest to just let them rest. After about 3 days the deaths subsided and the fish began eating again.. the BBA was all turning red or grey and that was great.. but my all my water sprite I treated (among other plants) were quickly melting away and floating apart.. so I killed fish and killed 90% of my plants.. Yeah way to go man nice job!

Which leads me to this forum.. with head in hands I have vowed to not to let this happen again. I feel that I need to reboot my planted tank once again.. and really take the time to do it right step by step with the knowledge I have gained in the past 4 years. Oh and of course learning from the shameful actions of my recent Hydrogen Peroxide “Incident”. So I am going to try and re-learn the dosing strategies and keep up with them and not just do it non committal...but be consistent... and modify perameters SLOWLY..

My tank is currently is devoid of plants (except for 3 that survived) all driftwood, filter tubes, and rocks have been scrubbed and are now free of algae. I have added a new substrate cap (black diamond blasting medium) which I have been wanting to use due to looks for a long long time.. Well actually most of my substrate is Activ Flora (black) with one bag of Eco Complete because I was afraid I didn’t have enough Activ Flora to make the hills I wanted in the tank. But thought I could “hide” it or mix with the Activ Flora. And for the past 4 years I HATED seeing the larger grey chunks of Eco Complete and always wanted to get rid of it because I loved the look of that really fine black material that was Activ Flora. So I added about 2-3 inched of the Black Diamond blasting medium to safely cap and hide the Eco complete below it. Hopefully It doesn’t re-surface and corrects my first mistake years ago..

Anyway I look forward to doing this again and keeping with it. I had pretty good success for a while but I think I just didn’t dedicate myself to keep it going.. I think this time will be much better as I already have all the tools and knowledge to make it work.. I get so much satisfaction seeing something thrive (I love plants by the way) So this is something that is really important to me and I do have the passion to achieve for what I hope will be my best tank yet...

I realize this is a long thread to just say Hello,.. but wanted to share my previous experience to the ones who want to read about it. I’ll post a photo of my cleaned up tank once I reach the # of posts required.

Dan

Greggz, Tim Harrison and Phishless like this.
  2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:45 AM
    Welcome Dan :)

3. Greggz

Greggz Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:45 AM
    Dan who are you on TPT? Just wondering if I have been following your thread there.

And good luck with the reboot. Looking forward to following.

4. Guzas

Guzas New Member

Local Time:
    I am the same as here..

Guzas

The thread is called “the Aquarium re-boot “VERSION 2.0-PLANTED”

5. Guzas

Guzas New Member

Local Time:
    image.jpg Just finished re-planting my tank. Took some time to get plants that were appropriate for my lighting level and paid special attention to placement.. (foreground mid ground and background) and made sure I got low to medium light plants. Made up all my fertilizers and plan on religiously fertilizing weekly using the low light EI method... so from death comes rebirth... will open up a thread for a tank journal if there is a place on this forum to do so...

Love the blasting sand! Oh and I cleaned the heck out of the glass so it looks like new.. hopefully I can keep ahead of the algae and that dreaded black beard algae that caused me so much problems before where I destroyed my tank..

Greggz likes this.
  6. Guzas

Guzas New Member

Local Time:
    Image attached is the tank as of October 15th. (Less than 2 months from initial photo.) plants seem to be doing well. Some better than others. I do see some algae coming back but will just try to keep on it. I initially had my loghting at twice the power but the algae was starting to bloom too fast so I turned th 2nd set off. And I think that’s the right setting. It’s about Par 15 from the par 30 I had going initially. I took the plunge and got a par meter (Seneye). Was a bit of $$ but just had to know what lighting levels I had. All the plants I carefully researched and made sure all were OK in a low light tank. So this is probably why most are doing reasonably well. I’m currently dosing EI with no water changes low dose low light method. I was originally adding Excel every day but cut that out so I was just using light levels and fertilizer to make adjustments. So far the plants seem to be happy. Even though some have algae. The good news the Guppies are back full force. They LOVE the massive amounts of plants. I seem to have a happy tank again. I’ll just take it real easy on any future algae battles. I do have some snails that hitchhiked on the plants. I think they are pond or bladder snails. I’ll just keep an eye on them.

3CF8B589-0B19-464D-AEF2-9C83395E668B.jpeg

Greggz likes this.
Tags: