This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Hello From Berlin

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by pmucka, May 24, 2020.

1. pmucka

pmucka New Member

Local Time:
    1:16 AM
    Hi Everyone,

I'd like to present my first planted tank ever, which is now about 1 year old. I'm hoping to get some input/suggestions on ways that I can improve the plant growth and health.

Briefly, I started keeping tanks when I was maybe 9 or 10 and ultimately graduated to a 55gallon when I was 16 or 17 (around 2005). Unfortunately, I didn’t have the discipline, knowledge, or funds, to do what I hoped with that tank. Around that time I discovered Amano's work and was instantly obsessed. I spent the next 10 years moving around for school and work, ultimately ending up in Berlin where I'm doing my PhD. After about a year here I realized my living situation was stable enough for me to get a tank. Since planted tanks are 'a thing' over here, there was lots of great equipment, cheap tanks, and resources to get me started. I had been following developments in planted tanks over those years (out of boredom haha) and was pleased to see that equipment/materials were easier to come by and cheaper than they were back then.

I picked up a rimless 64L (~17gallon) 60x30x35cm tank and, since I'm on a PhD stipend, some Teicherde (pond soil) which some local aquarists have used successfully for 'dirted tanks'. The tank has been going pretty well (at least I can keep the plants alive!), but I'm hoping to get input since some of my plants are definitely a little scraggly. I'm constantly reading more and more on the forum since most things have been asked already. Anyway, I'll save my questions and observations for later! I hope to see some of you in my forthcoming journal thread.

Nice to meet you!

Best,

Patrick

Tank pic Feb 2020.jpg

Medibrah likes this.
  2. Swerve's Reef

Swerve's Reef New Member

Local Time:
    7:16 PM
    Looks beautiful, I hope I can find some success like yours. Me being new to planted tanks, the challenge I'm finding is that I see all of these nice aquariums with plants I like, but I don't know what most of the plant species are yet and which like similar water conditions, lighting etc..

3. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    1:16 AM
    Hallo Patrick. Nice to have another fellow plant keeper from Germany here. I'm in München.

Welcome to the forum. Nice tank and looking forward to your journal.

Tags: