This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Hello from Atlanta, GA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Soidfuf, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Soidfuf

Soidfuf New Member

Local Time:
    6:55 PM
    Hey everyone! Really enjoying the new changes to the forum. I've been sneaking around here for a couple years now in regards to nearly all things planted aquarium related. A lot of people here do excellent work that has definitely helped me and many others past and present. Keep up the great work, hopefully I can become a minor part of that community!

Currently I have three tanks up. A freshly rebuilt/planted 40 gallon dutch style, a 20 gallon freestyle, and a lowtech 7 gallon dutch style. I've had multiple iterations in the 40, 20, and 30 gallon tanks over the years I have a habit of rebuilding once a tank becomes grown in. Usually due to my poor plant pruning and arranging skills. The 40 and 20 are on EI give or take with pressurized CO2 while the 7 is on weekly low EI and glutaraldehyde.

Here's the 40. The plants include: Bacopa caroliniana, Bacopa monnieri, Lobelia Cardinalis, Lysimachia nummularia aurea, Cryptocoryne retrospiralis(?), Alternanthera reineckii, Hygrophila lancea "Araguaia", Rotala rotundifolia, and lastly Proserpinaca palustris. I want to get rid of the back left already the bacopa sp. grow too quickly and don't grow quite the way I like. This tank is about 3 weeks old since its rebuild and hopefully I can keep the old BBA from returning. Inhabitants are currently 6 otocinclus and 8 amano shrimp. Used to have golden and black ruby barbs but removed them. I still miss the golden barbs as I had them for almost 3 years since I was a huge newbie, but they had to go.

IMG_0180[1].JPG

Here's the 20. Generally has been my most stable tank even after rebuilds, this one was heavily trimmed and replanted to consolidate growth and organize it a little bit. The plants include: Blyxa japonica, Glossostigma elatinoides, Proserpinaca palustris, Hygrophila pinnatifida, Alternanthera reineckii, Lobelia cardinalis, Pogostemon helferi downoi, and Hygrophila lancea "Araguaia". Generally, my lobelia, and hygrophila lancea grow better in this tank than in the 40 in its previous builds. This tank is generally more algae free other thank BBA on some of the eco-complete in the tank the substrate is about 50/50 eco-complete and fluval stratum. I spend some time picking out hairy eco-complete granules... ugh. The Proserpinaca is a beautiful golden color that I'm looking forward to seeing in full size. Inhabitants are currently 1 scarlet badis (unfortunately the other male died recently likely due to diet) and 1 otocinclus which is probably about to be put in with the 40.

IMG_0179[1].JPG

Here's the 7 gallon. Currently my low tech low light setup and I'm very pleased with it. Currently the plants include: Rotala wallichi, Rotala rotundifolia, Alternanthera reineckii, Lobelia cardinalis, bacopa monnieri, Micranthemum micranthemoides, and micranthemum "monte carlo". The Lobelia and bacopa are definitely the poorer growers in this current setup although I think given time the Lobelia will come around the bacopa is at snails pace growth even for this tank. I am very pleased with the monte carlo's growth as well as the alternanthera. This tank is only getting weekly ferts and usually daily glut. Currently the inhabitants are 10 RCS that will hopefully start breeding soon, they are about a week old in this tank.

IMG_0181[1].JPG

Hope you all enjoy my tanks and definitely let me know if you have any questions or tips about any plants especially those doing poorly. I'm at the point where I really want to get the excellent growth and plant husbandry skills I see here so often.

DutchMuch, burr740 and Christophe like this.
  2. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    11:55 PM
    Welcome.
    BBA won't disappear on its own. Nuke it with Excel or H2O2 and concentrate on CO2 and plant growth. A good balance of CO2 and O2 will ensure that BBA does not come back.
    BNP, Oto and shrimps help keep hardscape clean of organics and biofilm so BBA does not grow on it.

Soidfuf likes this.
  3. Soidfuf

Soidfuf New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks raj. Admittedly the previous build of the 40 gallon was relentless with its BBA. The wood and rock would grow BBA which would then encroach on the plants. As you mentioned, and what I think, was the likely cause in my case was low O2 because of organics, the barbs were incessant waste producers. I nuked it with glut maybe 8 times over its life and adjusted co2 up as many times as that if not more. In fact, I rebuilt because my adjustments (unlike in my other tanks) didn't give me results. Another factor I attributed was the rock I had in there was very limey and perhaps it leeching fed the BBA well, no idea, but it grew BBA quickly and easily. This time there's no hardscape, no barbs, more area with plants, and even more renewed vigor for plant growth focus.

As far as the 20's BBA it's so minor that I doesn't bother me, it's mostly fine tuning on co2 and growth. The finnex planted+ on that tank just got replaced with an sbreef light and it is a little brighter right now than before which is a likely cause so I'll be fiddling with that. Also the eco-complete has been in there years and before that in one of my 30 gallon tanks, I think it's leeching tons of nutrients from years gone by that the BBA love.

4. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Welcome! Looking forward to your contributions here.

5. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
  6. BugginDave

BugginDave New Member

Local Time:
    Im in Atlanta too! Well actually Buford now, moved a little further out of the city. I have a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 light myself, but just ordered a Fluval 3.0 for another light.