Hello from Alberta

Patti

Jul 24, 2017
Alberta
Thanks for ad. Decided to give this a try. Have 3 low tech planted tanks and will be setting up a new tank this week consolidating other tanks. It will be 135 gals with a sump. 2 36" Marquis dual T5H0 lights. Have plants to transfer over...crypts, swords, giant Anubis, hydrogrophillia, Java fern, Christmas moss. I havnt bought substrate yet as such a big tank. Eco complete recommended but will be expensive. Will be home to my Rainbowfish, Congo Tetras and a pair of angels. Suggestions for economical substrate and fertilizing welcome. Oh and rainbows need weekly water changes.

Patti

Jul 24, 2017
Alberta
I havnt figured out yet how to post pics. Tank will not be here till end of week but excited for it. Starfire glass on front and ends. Overflow on the back..was going to be internal but the whole idea of a bigger tank was more swimming room for the fish. So the tank will end up being 8" out from the wall..some creative carpentry might be needed. Substrate is my big concern now..Eco complete around $35 a bag here..

Reactions: DutchMuch

rajkm

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Sep 16, 2015
Hillsboro, OR
You could go with Oil-dri or similar substrate. Very high CEC.
Black Diamond blasting sand is another popular alternative, inert, but looks great.
You can always use existing substrate in the bottom if it's not gone bad, and cap it with new substrate.

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
BDBS is a great alternative, look at @burr's tank, his substrate is BDBS. If wanting a sand/lighter color pool filter sand is a good alternative as well (inert to).

Patti

Jul 24, 2017
Alberta
Thanks guys for the suggestions. BDBS available here material data safety sheet lists it as a carcinogenic and harmful to aquatic life so not a great choice..don't know about the stuff in the US. A friend who we call the fish God recognizes fish and plants with scientific names suggested MGOS capped with Eco complete at back for root feeders and fluorite in the front or some kind of black sand if can find it. Tank will have either kuhli loaches or synodontis but I've found with the rainbows and Congos very little food makes it to the bottom. Sump will have biomedia that has been in my pond filter so not worried about cycling tank but have read that soil has a mineralization period? I rarely move plants around so disturbing the soil is not a great issue. Non CO2 as rainbows don't like it...

andiok

Aug 16, 2017
Canada, Sk
Thanks guys for the suggestions. BDBS available here material data safety sheet lists it as a carcinogenic and harmful to aquatic life so not a great choice..don't know about the stuff in the US. A friend who we call the fish God recognizes fish and plants with scientific names suggested MGOS capped with Eco complete at back for root feeders and fluorite in the front or some kind of black sand if can find it. Tank will have either kuhli loaches or synodontis but I've found with the rainbows and Congos very little food makes it to the bottom. Sump will have biomedia that has been in my pond filter so not worried about cycling tank but have read that soil has a mineralization period? I rarely move plants around so disturbing the soil is not a great issue. Non CO2 as rainbows don't like it...
hey there. I've been using bdbs for years with no problem. I cap the soil with it and it looks darn cool. I get the one from Princessauto $12 for a 50pound bag.

Reactions: DutchMuch