Heaters

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Anyone have any special preferences for heater types, or manufacturers? I've bought run of the mill and haven't experienced any difficulty, but I was curious to see if others had special preferences and why.

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Re: Heaters

I like the Visitherm "stealth" all flat black, and inconspicuous, at a good price.

Bill

fosteder

Guru Class Expert
Feb 3, 2005
Rochester, NH

I just bought a Hydor ETH inline heater. I liked the idea of not having a heater sitting in my tank, the less equipment I see the better. I haven't set the tank up yet, but I will let you know how it works when I do.

Protint

Junior Poster
Jan 27, 2005

I have always used visitherm (not the stealth). If I order in the future it will be the stealth model though.

AZFish1

Junior Poster
Mar 23, 2005

fosteder said:
I just bought a Hydor ETH inline heater. I liked the idea of not having a heater sitting in my tank, the less equipment I see the better. I haven't set the tank up yet, but I will let you know how it works when I do.

How did this thing work out?

travis

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2006

I've been using a couple of Hydor ETH inline heaters for almost a year now and couldn't be happier. I like keeping the equipment out of the tank so these are great. Plus you don't ever need to worry about cracking one during a water change because they remain in contact with the water. I can't say for sure, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that because of their thin film heating element that they are not subject to cracking anyway. Lastly, the heat my water very quickly after a water change. Just my opinions anyway :)

AZFish1

Junior Poster
Mar 23, 2005

Thanks Travis thats good to hear. I realy want to try one but read a few reviews about them being "Noisy".. How can a heater be too noisy was my question but never got any insight. I think now I might give it a shot.

fosteder

Guru Class Expert
Feb 3, 2005
Rochester, NH

I haven't used mine yet. :(

My tank is sitting forlorn and emtpy while I finish getting all the equipment and decor lined up for it. It's taking a while, but I'm doing it right the first time.

Hopefully I will reap the benifits of patience. :D

travdawg

Guru Class Expert
Feb 2, 2005

Travis, you have a 90 gallon do you not??? I was going to pick up a couple of the Hydors for my 90 gallon, but concensus was that it would be too much heat in a 90 gallon tank. Whats your opinion?

The noise apparently comes from when the heaters kick on. I have read that they can be very loud, but this isnt a problem with all the models.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Ebo Jager
Titianium probe styles with rubber ends are good also.

Regards,
Tom Barr