This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

HC Non-CO2 setup

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by fjf888, Aug 21, 2009.

1. fjf888

fjf888 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    1:30 AM
    I picked up some HC at the local store and want to try it in my 10G non-CO2 injected tank. I do dose excel 2-3x a week.

I have 30W of CF light (Screw in bulbs), deflectors are crappy but I get good enough light to have pretty steady normal sized growth of Rotala Indica, Bacopa, Crypt Parva and Crypt Wenti.

The substrate is an inch of miracle grow organic potting soil under a layer of flourite black sand. Based on the very limited information, would HC be viable in this setup if I increased the dosing of Excel. I highly doubt I would be light limited I am more concerned about being CO2 limited.

Thanks

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I'd dose Excel daily.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Myka

Myka Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    My tank is similar to yours in the light and CO2 areas although I can't dose Excel because I have plants that won't tolerate it. My HC lives, but does nothing more than that. It doesn't spread much, grows very slowly, and is stretched out to about 3" tall. I don't know if that helps you much at all...?

4. fjf888

fjf888 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Will do, Thanks Tom.

Myka

Based on everything I have read here HC requires CO2 to thrive, so chances are if Excel or CO2 are not added it will probably slowly die off. Chances are probably good that even with the Excel dosing it may die off for me as well :)

I just like to experiment once in awhile and see what happens, if the opportunity comes up. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised.