HC high up

crystalview

Guru Class Expert
Sep 6, 2008
between Sac and Reno
With my low light set up could I grow HC if I raised it up onto wood? My light is 23" from the substrate. How high (close to the light) would the piece of wood need to be? My 12" h wood has a flat spot I thought would look nice in HC. What do you think?

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
HC doesn't need high light, it needs non-limiting nutrients with some special attention to CO2. Check out Tom's post on visiting the ADA gallery; HC in

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
There's still hope depending on how the light dissipates farther down. ~35mmol PAR seems to be the bottom end. Either way, I'd find a way to increase that PAR a little bit. What's the setup?

-Philosophos

crystalview

Guru Class Expert
Sep 6, 2008
between Sac and Reno
I have a reading of 35mmol PAR at substrate. The light I use read a lot lower then I thought it would (see sig). I guess I will try the HC up at mid point and see how it grows. Now to find some.

Tom is having to move his tanks so maybe I can get some from him. I will go ask.

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
You could try 35mmol if you think you can manage to grow it under the same conditions as Amano. Have you tried moving the light forwards? I keep mine sitting quite close to the front. It's not as if the tall plants in the back need more light.

-Philosophos