This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

HC high up

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by crystalview, Jun 10, 2009.

1. crystalview

crystalview Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    12:56 PM
    With my low light set up could I grow HC if I raised it up onto wood? My light is 23" from the substrate. How high (close to the light) would the piece of wood need to be? My 12" h wood has a flat spot I thought would look nice in HC. What do you think?

2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    HC doesn't need high light, it needs non-limiting nutrients with some special attention to CO2. Check out Tom's post on visiting the ADA gallery; HC in

3. crystalview

Local Time:
    Mid tank is about 50 PAR

4. Philosophos

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    There's still hope depending on how the light dissipates farther down. ~35mmol PAR seems to be the bottom end. Either way, I'd find a way to increase that PAR a little bit. What's the setup?

-Philosophos

5. crystalview

Local Time:
    I have a reading of 35mmol PAR at substrate. The light I use read a lot lower then I thought it would (see sig). I guess I will try the HC up at mid point and see how it grows. Now to find some.

Tom is having to move his tanks so maybe I can get some from him. I will go ask.

6. Philosophos

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You could try 35mmol if you think you can manage to grow it under the same conditions as Amano. Have you tried moving the light forwards? I keep mine sitting quite close to the front. It's not as if the tall plants in the back need more light.

-Philosophos